Thursday, December 15, 2022

Years ago -

 
 
I had an idea for a "quickie" quilt - 
 
That turned out to be "not that quick" - 
 
It all started with some cheap quilts - 
 
That I got from some catalog - 
 
 
Then I stitched some "slabs" of fabric in diagonal rows to the "back" side - 
Thinking that I could use the "quilt" as batting - 
And skip the "basting" part - 
As an experiment - 
 
All of this was before I had my new machine and frame - 
 
And that part worked out well - 
 
The diagonal rows that I sewed on the "back" - 
Started on the diagonal center - 
And the rows kept getting shorter - 
And the bulk became less - 
As I worked myself out to the corners - 

 
Then it sat for a few years - 
 
And I thought it was time to do the "front" side - 
 
I thought of loading it on my new frame - 
But it's too big to load "sideways" for vertical quilting rows - 
 
So I thought that I could pin sections to the front - 
And stitch them with my walking foot - "quilt as I go" -
But all of that bulk didn't want to fit under the throat of my machine - 

 
So - I unstitched the small section that I had sewn yesterday - 
 
 
And tried again -
 
I basted zippers to the top and bottom - 
To load it "straight" on my frame instead of "sideways" - 
 

And unzipped the backing for my Woof & Whiskers tops - 
Replacing it with the "experiment" - 

Gotta love those zippers - switching was quick and easy - 
 
Then I rolled the entire thing onto the back rail - 
Pretending that it was a completed quilt -
 
To see if it would fit - 
 
And it does -  

So far - so good - 

 
Tomorrow I'll roll it all to the front rail - 
 
Then piece together the sections of the "top" - 
 
And go from there - 
 
I can use my channel locks to quilt straight lines across - 
 
And hope that horizontal lines will look as good as vertical lines - 
On something this graphic - 
 
Then see if I can get it done by Christmas - ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -
 

4 comments:

Sue said...

Fingers crossed it works!

Gene Black said...

Interesting! I had no idea what you were playing with over there. Is that top fabric from Connecting Threads? It looks familiar.

Katie said...

Well that looks like a ridiculous disaster, but better yours than mine! I hope your idea works because ridiculous disasters are even more frustrating when you can un-disaster them. As a former boss liked to say..."good luck!"

Katie said...

*can't* (thank you autocorrect, for always changing my can't...so positive, this computer)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...