Tuesday, November 3, 2020

And another six blocks -

 
 
For my Sakura Churn Dash
 
Were sewn today - 
 
 
 
And put up on the wall with their friends - LOL - ;))
 
 
You all know that I make these SIX at a time - 
Since all of the "units" have been cut and sewn together already - 
It just seems more efficient to do them "assembly-line" - 
And SIX fit nicely on my ironing board/pad - 
 
I thought I would show you how I do it - 
If you're interested - keep reading - 
If not - tune in tomorrow - I should have another SIX sewn by then - ;))
 
===

First - I lay out all of the "units" for SIX blocks - three sets of two blocks -
The top row has the same "Churn Dash" fabric with different backgrounds - 
The bottom row has the same background with different "Churn Dash" fabrics - 
This way helps me keep them straight as to which is the background fabric -
And I'm less likely to sew them together backwards - LOL - 

 
I start with the two blocks on the left -
Sew the second column "unit" to the one in the first column -
Chain piecing them all - 
When I get to the bottom two -
I need to get it out from under the needle - to continue - 
So I sew together the first two units in the second set of blocks - 
That's why you don't see them in the photos above and below - 
 
Then I fold over the third "unit" on top of the first two -
And chain piece all of those - 
 
 

When I get to the bottom two -
I need to get it out from under the needle - to continue - 
So I sew together the next two units of the second set of blocks - 
That's why you don't see them in this photo - 
 
 
 
When all three units in a row have been sewn - that's when I press them -
The "middle" row gets pressed OUT from the center patch -
The "top" and "bottom" rows get pressed IN toward the center patch - 
 
Then I fold the "top" row over onto the "middle" row for both blocks - 
And sew them one right after the other - 
Clipping off the first block -
Pressing the "top" row OUT from the "middle" row - 
And then adding the "bottom" row - 

 
When the "bottom" row is on -
I press that one OUT from the "middle" row -
In this photo - the second block is still under the needle - 
So I flipped over the second "unit" in all of the second column blocks - 
 

Then - it's basically - rinse and repeat - 
 
Sew the second column "unit" to the one in the first column -
Chain piecing them all - 


Then I fold over the third "unit" on top of the first two -
And chain piece all of those - 
 
 
Press the rows - 

 
Sew the rows together - 







 
And start on the third column of blocks - 









 
It actually took me longer to take the photos -
 
And write this post - 
 
Than it did to sew the blocks together - 
 
And most of you probably have your own "system" for making these -
 
Because there is ALWAYS more than one way to do something - LOL -

But I thought there might be some new quilters out there - 

Who may not know this stuff - 
 
And it might help them to see how I do it - ;))


 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 


3 comments:

Gene Black said...

Ha ha...my brain works better making one block at a time. If I do it your way or any version of making more than one, I have to pay attention too much and can get really lost.

I remember making my first churn dash block - I really messed it up - and I was only making one!

Katie said...

I was cutting one strip set at a time, so making two blocks at a time. That worked for me. But I did have to pay attention to make sure I was getting things going right since I was making one light and one dark. I'm sure I'll get faster, but I'm not in a rush. Your system looks promising, but I also know I have good and bad days as far as focus, so I might invent a new block, too...

Barb said...

Wow...love the colors and your way of sewing but I think I am with Gene on this one, one block at a time for me but looks so efficient for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...