Thursday, March 12, 2020

Found -


This baggie of Dresden Plate parts - ;))


And I didn't feel like "ditch quilting" the Interweave quilt -

So I decided to play with them -

Their friends have been on the design wall in the hallway f.o.r.e.v.e.r. -

And I'm getting tired of seeing them - so I want them g.o.n.e. -


I took the blocks out of the baggie -
And counted 24 -
Another 6 for each corner -


Put them up on the wall -
Tried not to overthink the color placement -
Just slapped them up there -
And had one extra -
Must have mis-counted - LOL - ;))


Now the question is -

Do I trim the excess fabric from behind the applique - or not? -

The white Dresden Plate quarters are appliqued along the scalloped edge -
But are loose underneath and at the outside edges of the blocks -


Trim -
1 - Gives me extra fabric for my scrap bin -
2 - Reduces the bulk of two layers of fabric in spots -
3 - Should be easier to quilt with fewer layers of fabric -

Don't trim -
1 - Stabilizes the block -
2 - All of the background blocks are the same size - easier to sew -
3 - Gives a "base" for "fusing" the center circle appliques -


What do you think? -

Should I trim the excess fabric or not? -

I have purple batik circles cut for the "centers" -

So nothing will show through either way - ;))




Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



6 comments:

Sue said...

I'm in the don't trim camp....for the reasons you stated.

Barbara said...

So pretty, have fun with them. I know they are in the right hands. :)

Gene Black said...

I am a "don't trim" also. Your reasons convinced me.

Sherry said...

Ok, you know that there is one in every crowd & it is usually me. . .so here goes:

Why not trim the excess AFTER the blocks are together. That would give you some extra scrap and reduce the bulk behind the plate part of the blocks.

But you will also have the ease of matching the corners of the squares.

You would still have extra bulk under the circles and in the seams (but that could be graded . . . like they do in dressmaking), but the benefit might outweigh the bulk.

I'm glad to see these again. . .I really like them.

Rebecca said...

I was in the don't trim camp until I saw Sherrys post... ( there is 1 1/2 in every group).
So don't trim till then and then you can go either way!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It isn't that much bulk to leave the layer there and do you really "need" the cutaway in your scrap stash?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...