Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Sometimes -


I tend to overthink things and confuse myself -

Perfect example - my Imperial Bargello - ;))

I looked back at some of my old progress posts -

And have NO clue what I was thinking back then -

So I decided to start over - LOL - ;))

I have my diagram -

And the "right" side panel is sewn together -

So I used those as my guides to figure out what to do for the "left" side -

I had two panels sewn into tubes but not cut yet -

So I laid one out to the "left" of the sewn panel -

Matched up the strips on both sides -


Made sure the bottom/inside strips matched -


And started in the center of my diagram - cutting from right to left -


And pinned them - in order - to my ironing pad as I went along -


Some patterns say to cut all of the same size strips at the same time -
And make piles with the various sizes -
Then - following the pattern -
Choose the size strip you need - when you need it -

I prefer to cut the strips in the size sequence used in the pattern -
Fat to skinny to fat and back again -


It especially helps if you have prints that you want to "flow" across the bargello -

Like that FLORAL to the right/below the BLACK section -

I think you would lose the pattern if you cut all of the same size strips with no idea where they will fall in the whole scheme of things - but it wouldn't matter if the fabrics are all solids - so maybe there is "method in the madness" - LOL -


Anyway - after I took the photos -

I moved the ironing pad - with the strips pinned to it -
To the cutting table in my Studio -

Then - starting at the "right" side/center -
Pulled the first four strips to be un-sewn -
And moved them to my ironing board -


I'll play with them four at a time - un-sewing - according to my diagram - then sew them together into "twosies" and "foursies" until the left panel is done - then sew both panels together and decide whether or not I want/need to add a border -

I think this BLACK print will work nicely as both backing and borders - ;))


Now that I have two "sit-down" projects going -

I think I'll look for a quilt top that needs a backing -

For a "stand-up" project -

And play with cutting - pressing- fuse/basting - pinning -

Until it comes time to trim the Interweave quilts -

Maybe I'll be able to get a little assembly-line going -

That might be FUN - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



6 comments:

Barbara said...

I SO know that feeling of confusing myself! No worries, one small step at a time will get you there. It will be lovely!

Gene Black said...

The bargello I did had you cut all the strips by size and keep them in piles. It did work - but it was solids. I can see how you might want to have a pattern match up even though it is offset.

I am glad to hear that you made some good progress.

Sherry said...

You are making great progress.

I get confused a lot too. . .and that usually leads to following a squirrel! LOL

Have a happy day.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You are getting lots done!!

Barb said...

I have never made a bardello and probably will never, I too over think and sometimes my thinker doesn't work right. Good on you to press on.

Sue said...

Haha! Glad it's not just me who gets confused. Great backing fabric.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...