Sunday, April 16, 2023

Done -

 
 
I'm done testing - 
 
This is as good as it gets - 
 


The stitches on the top are decent looking - 

And I still see little pokies on the back - 

But the top tension is loose enough - 
 
That I can move the machine to the side without breaking the thread - 
 
And if I use the same color of thread on both the top and bobbin - 

The pokies won't show - 
 
Today I found some more videos - 
 
There is one by Grace Company - 
That recommends the "drop test" for setting your bobbin tension - 
Which - to me - is very subjective - with a lot of "wiggle" room - 
 
The TOWA gauge is much more "objective" - 
You find the number recommended for the thread you're using - 
And use THAT as your guide - it's accurate and consistent - 
Then you can fiddle with the top tension to tweak it -
 
But what number do I use for Maxilock Serger Thread? - 
I was guessing 170 to 200 - but I didn't know for sure - 
And the "drop test" gave me much lower numbers - 
None of which seemed to be working -
 
Then I found another video by Adam Sew Fun -
He calls it - "Why I Towa" - HERE -  

It was SUPER helpful - 

Because in the comments - 

One reader mentioned using Maxilock Serger Thread - 
And she asked him what setting he would recommend -

He replied 170 to 200 - 
Since he thought that it is comparable to Masterpiece by Superior Thread - 
 
THAT'S what I wanted to know!!! - 

So I set my bobbin case to the same range (about 180/190) - 

And fiddled with the top tension a little -
Set that at 2-1/2 -

Since I didn't want it too tight - 

The above photos show my compromise - 

And I'm calling it good - ;))


 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

I am glad you found a setting you are reasonably happy with. Now you can get to quilting again.

Katie said...

Are those pokies actually batting coming through? It's hard to tell, but this is why using white batting with black fabric can be tricky, as I'm sure you know. But I'm glad you've found the end of your journey. Make sure you were all this stuff down and put it somewhere you can find! (I know it's on the blog, but I'm thinking of a cheat sheet stored with your thread?) My longarm people also talk about a drop test. Not having a Towa gauge, I have relied on that. And truly, if your bobbin case cannot let the thread out easily that way, it's not going to do so in the machine, so it's a place to start at the very least! And it was the only option until the gauge was invented!

Sue said...

I didn't know things like the Towa existed. I've always found the drop test to be a bit hit and miss.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...