Saturday, April 15, 2023

More testing -

 
 
Today - before I started testing tension settings - 

I ran five different bobbins through the TOWA gauge -
 
At the same bobbin case setting -
 
And got different readings on each one.
  • Yellow - yesterday - 130-150
  • Yellow - today - 150-200
  • Gray - 120
  • Cream - 110-120
  • Black - partially used - 100
  • Black - full - 100 
 
I assumed the readings would all be the same number - 
 
But they were all wound at different times - 
With the exception of the two BLACK ones - 
 
So I wound a new YELLOW bobbin -
Which registered at 90 - 
 
And played with that a bit more - 
 



 
Somewhere along the line I changed to a Size 16 needle - 
 
Took out the YELLOW bobbin - 
And tested it - just for fun - 
It registered 100 after sewing with it a while - 
Which I think is strange - 
Maybe I have an inconsistent bobbin winding problem -
 
Anyway - 
 
Then I swapped in a BLACK bobbin - and put WHITE in the top -- 


 
I kept playing and won't bore you with the details - 

But - as you can see - I haven't found the "magic" number yet - 

I'm trying to keep the variables down to only the bobbin tension - 

The top tension - sandwich tension - fabric - batting are all "normal" for me - 

I did change the needle size - 

But I'm using a BLACK bobbin now - 

And tweaking the setting a little at a time - 

I have a lot of patience sometimes - 

So I will keep playing with it - 

Until I give up and find a decent looking stitch - 

Use the same color in the top and the bobbin - 

And just call it good - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 
 

2 comments:

Gene Black said...

That sounds very frustrating. Have you checked the manual to be sure you are winding the bobbin correctly? I that bobbins wound on one domestic sewing machine can be very different to those wound on another one.

Kara Kwilts said...

What do the quilts look like after washing when the batting crinkles everything up? That is really what matters. Tension only matters when the quilt doesn't get washed, in my opinion. :) Don't judge them too harshly, they are done after all. Keep up the good work. Kara

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...