Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Simple fix -

 
 
Short version
 
"Check the hopping foot height" -
 
I changed the hopping foot to the ruler foot - 
When I loaded my RED Squirrel
And that's when I started having "tension" issues - 
 
I adjusted the hopping foot height - 
 
And all is well - ;))
 

 


 
===
 
Feel free to skip this part if you don't want/need to know the details -
Of how I actually figured it out - ;))
 
Long version
 
These past few weeks have been SO frustrating - 
 
I have tried everything I can think of to fix my tension issues - 
And my friends have offered several VERY good suggestions - 
 
But nothing seems to have solved the problem -  
 
And BOB and I have had some long conversations -
 
Trying to figure it out -
 
NOTE - for those who don't already know - 
BOB is my alter-ego - Bitchy Old Broad - 
So I'm basically talking to myself - 
Trying to "think it out" - LOL -  

Anyway - 
 
Yesterday the conversation went kinda like this -
 
Me - This isn't FUN anymore - 
BOB - Well it used to be - 
Me - Yeah - but not anymore - 
BOB - What changed? -
Me - I don't know - 
BOB - OK - so what was the last thing you quilted that WAS fun?
Me - Opal KaBloom - THAT was a FUN one - and the stitches looked pretty good -
BOB - Then what did you quilt after that one? -
Me - RED Squirrel
BOB - Did you change anything before you started quilting it? - 
Me - Yeah - I changed the foot - 
BOB - Maybe that's your problem - 
Me - Nah - it can't be that - I change the foot all the time on my domestic machine - from the 1/4" foot for piecing - to the zigzag foot when I baste on the zippers - and back to the 1/4" foot - and I have never had tension problems like this - 
BOB - Did you have tension problems on your RED Squirrel? -
Me - I don't think so - I used red thread on the top and the bobbin - so the stitches looked OK - but I think I remember the thread breaking a lot - 
BOB - Did you check the instruction manual for that? -
Me - Yes - I checked everything and thought the tension on the top was too tight -
BOB - OK - then what did you quilt? -
Me - Imperial Bargello
BOB - Did you have tension problems on Imperial Bargello?
Me - Yes - I used yellow thread on the top and black on the back - and the black is really loose and looks like it's just laying there - and I see yellow "pokies" - I don't like it at all -
BOB - OK - then what did you quilt? - 
Me - Happy Trails
BOB - And? - 
Me - And I had tension problems with that one, too - 
BOB - Then what did you quilt?- 
Me - Then I got the TOWA and began playing with that - 
BOB - And? - 
Me - I finally found the "sweet spot" for the bobbin setting - 185 -
BOB - But - 
Me - But - the bottom thread looks too loose - and when I tighten the top tension - the thread breaks - like I said - this isn't fun anymore - 
BOB - So start over - check the instructions again - maybe you missed something - begin with threading the top - where did you put the laminated sheet for how to thread it? -
Me - In the drawer - here - 
BOB - What does it say? - 
Me - On the top is the diagram for threading it - and I DO have it threaded correctly.  It also has a bottom section -
 
Troubleshooting - If your thread is breaking...
 
1 - Replace your needle if it is bent or burred.
Check - Wanda suggested using a smaller needle -
I replaced the needle - a brand new Size 16 -
Recommended by Grace Co. and Superior Thread for 50 wt thread -

2 - Check the tension - set the bottom tension first -
Check - LindaS recommended getting a TOWA bobbin tension gauge - 
So I got one - the recommended setting is 170-200 - for 50 wt thread -
And it's set at 185 - so that's good -
I tightened the top tension to pull the bobbin thread up a bit - 
 
3 - Check that your machine is threaded correctly - 
Check - 
No problem that I can see - 
 
4 - Check the bobbin case - 
Check - 
No problem that I can see - 
 
5 - Check the hopping foot height - 
 
WAIT!!! - WHAT?!?!?
 
That one is NOT listed in the instruction manual - 
It has -
  • Damaged needle
  • Incorrect thread tension
  • Machine properly threaded
  • Stitching in place too long
  • Bobbin inserted incorrectly
  • Debris on tension discs
  • Burred bobbin
  • Needle plate is rubbing needle
 
BOB - You DID change the foot didn't you?  Are you SURE you put the new one on correctly?  You have had tension issues ever since - so it makes sense to me.  You may change the foot on your domestic machine all of the time - but you forget that the longarm has a HOPPING foot - and it's NOT the same - what you do or don't do on your domestic machine may or may not work on the longarm. They're like apples and oranges - you're used to apples - and now you have an orange -
Me - If that's what it is - it's an easy fix - but I'm too tired to mess with it now - I'll check it out tomorrow - 
BOB - You KNOW that's it, don't you? - And you know what I'm going to say if it is - 
Me - Yeah - I know - 
BOB - I told you so!!! - LOL!!!
 
And BOB was right - 
 
I adjusted the hopping foot height - 
 
And all is well - ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 
 

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

LOL.... I talk to myself all the time.
Of course there is that saying that "only crazy people talk to themselves." But I think we are only crazy when we don't listen to ourselves.

BOB - a local friend and I use a slightly different wording, but same type of meaning. Ha ha

Sue said...

So glad you worked it out!

Kara Kwilts said...

I'm glad you got it figured out! Sometimes you just have to talk it out, even if it is with yourself. :) Kara

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...