Sunday, April 9, 2023

Testing -

 
 
Can be fun -
 
Or frustrating - 
 
Depending on my mood - 
 
Today it was FUN - 
 
I played with my TOWA Bobbin Tension Gauge - 
 
And threaded my longarm with PINK thread on top -
 
And BLACK thread in the bobbin - 
 
Cut a couple of pieces of WHITE fabric - 
And found a scrap of Hobbs 80/20 batting - 
Made a little practice sandwich - 
 
Then I stitched two test sets keeping the bobbin tension the same - 
And varying the top tension - 
 
I'm documenting it here for my future reference -
 
I think you can enlarge the photos if you double-click them -
Let me know what you think - 

===
BOBBIN TENSION - 180
I stitched three rows - and varied the top tension -
Row 1 - 2
Row 2 - 2-1/2
Row 3 - 3

Front -
 
Back - 
 
 
Front - 
 
 
Back - 
 

===
BOBBIN TENSION - 200
I stitched three rows - and varied the top tension -
Row 1 - 2
Row 2 - 2-1/2
Row 3 - 3
 
Front - 
 
 
Back - 

 
Front - 

 
Back - 


===
 
I think the "200" ones are too tight - 
The PINK shows on the bottom - 
Especially at the points of the "V's" - 
 
The "180" ones are better - 
But the PINK still shows - 
As tiny little dots - 
 
So tomorrow I'll try "170" and "160" - 
And maybe some more - see what happens -
 
I know it's a balancing act - 
 
But it would be nice to get a "combo" -
Somewhere in the 2 or 2-1/2 top tension range - 
 
So - while I play with my new toy - 
 
I hope you all have a HAPPY EASTER!! -  ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -

2 comments:

Gene Black said...

It is a balancing act for sure. At 180, the "2" tension looks best to me from the front. Perhaps lowering to 170 with a 2 will find a sweet spot.

Happy Easter!

Katie said...

I'm glad you're having fun because I'm cringing just reading about it! (A necessary evil for me - I don't think I'll ever truly enjoy it.) But the lower bobbin tension does look better, so hopefully just a little looser will get you that sweet spot.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...