Monday, August 28, 2023

Pressing -

 
 
Was on the agenda yesterday - 
 
First I pressed the strata - 
 
For my Northern Woods Bargello -  

I needed an EVEN number of rows - 
 
Because I pressed the odd-numbered rows up -
And the even-numbered rows down - 
 
So that they will nest nicely when I cut the strata - 
And shift the rows up or down a notch -
 
The easiest way to press them that way - 
 
Is to press the "odd" numbered strips "out" from the center of the strip - 
 
It's like a "two for one" -
 
You get the one seam pressed UP - 
And the other seam pressed DOWN at the same time -  
 
 
I pressed each of the four strata separately - 
 
Then sewed one pair into a tube - then the other - making two tubes - 
 
And folded them in half for cutting later - 
 
 
By that time my back was telling me to sit down - 
And find something else to do - 
 
So I pulled out the Sundance flat packs -


 
And pressed them - 
 
 
Then draped the first set over the front rail on the longarm - 
 
 
Then I figured that as long as I was pressing one set - 
 
That I might as well press the rest of them - 
 
 
Now I can sew the "twosies" for all four sets as I go along -
 
Or make one strata of all twenty strips - 
 
So that I have a visual aid to keep them all in order - 
 
I haven't decided yet - 
 
But it will probably be the latter - 
 
Just because I REALLY like the blending of this batch - 
 
And wouldn't want to mess it up -
 
As Gene said in a comment the other day - 
It never occurred to me before, but someone at the company chose to put the fabrics in that order. So, why not use them that way?
I totally agree - why not? -
 
Sorting them in a pleasing order would be like reinventing the wheel - 
 
It's already been done - ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have a bargello in my "to be quilted" pile. To be honest, I don't look forward to quilting over all of those seams. I need to get it layered and quilted though.
And I think it is time for you to get another one going on the longarm, hint hint.

Jeanna said...

You are going to have TWO beautiful flimsies soon. I voted for Sundance so I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the Sundance gradation, but both are beautiful. So thrilled they are coming together to make wonderful quilts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...