Friday, August 19, 2011

County Fair - 2011

So we went to the County Fair –


On the way in – we saw some scooters that look like tricycles –
Can’t tell if they’re intended for handicapped or not –
But they sure don’t look all that comfortable to me –


First the food –
Fair food is WONDERFUL –
But the prices are OUTRAGEOUS -

CORNDOG MENU – $4.50


MINI DONUTS – ONE DOZEN - $4.75


PRETZELS - $7.00


TATER DOG – That was something new – don’t remember how much that was


BEER, OF COURSE – CAN’T HAVE FUN WITHOUT THE BEER...


After checking out the food –
We ventured over to the landscaping display –

Whoever designed this one probably had a bit too much beer –
The water feature is beautiful –
But you can’t see it –
THE SIGNS ARE IN THE WAY!!


And then the Quilts –
We saved the best for last –

In past years - the quilt displays have always been sadly lacking –
I was really hoping that this year would be better –
Nope -
This year was no different -

Crocheted and knitted items were all rolled up and stuffed in cases -
but that is to be expected, I guess -

they are kinda hard to display -


Some quilts were displayed so that you could see the whole thing -


But - some quilts were all folded up and stuffed into other cases –
How would you feel it that was your quilt all folded up?



Then there were more quilts hung up on the wall –

But the way they fold them –
You can only see the bottom – middle – third of the quilt -
I would REALLY like to see the WHOLE quilt -
Especially if it were mine -


And did you notice the black binder clips?
BLACK BINDER CLIPS on the quilts?
Who wants BLACK BINDER CLIPS on their quilt?

This is a photo of one of my quilts displayed on the floor some years ago.
I don't know if you can see real well - the photo is old and crappy -
but - the white smudges on the edges are FOOTPRINTS -
they STEPPED ON IT after they laid it out on the floor!


And they wonder why the quilt entries are down every year.

Their crappy displays are one of the reasons why I don’t enter my quilts in

the County Fair anymore.

And I don’t think many of the guild members enter their quilts either.

I think that they save their quilts for the Guild Quilt Show.
(I know I would - IF I belonged to the Guild.)

Maybe the County Fair would get more entries if they hung the quilts
so that YOU COULD ACTUALLY SEE THEM!!

WOW – what a concept!!

This sounds an awful lot like a BOB rant, huh?

Oh, well - what can I say - she went to the County Fair with us...



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -


4 comments:

Sue said...

Perhaps BOB could write to them?

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Sorry, KatieM. - I deleted your comment by mistake. i thought I was deleting a duplicate - but they both disappeared - so here is a copy of your comment from my email. -

Katie M - said -
County Fairs and quilts - must the same everywhere - same thing here. Pretty well hidden. But I have to admit that I've been to some fairs where they were 'displayed' where animals previously resided - the smell was less than pleasant! I'd worry about my quilt absorbing that smell. But nothin I really have to worry about - have never 'showed' any of my quilts and probably never will. BTW - do like the quilt that you showed - even if it was a crappy picture :-)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

KatieM. - Glad you liked my quilt. I forgot to mention that they usually hang the "Best in Show" quilt right behind the area where they have the Spam cook-offs. I don't know about you - but I wouldn't hang my best quilt in the KITCHEN!! I'd worry about my quilt absorbing the grease - not just the smell!
^..^

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Sue - I tried telling them - 15 years ago - and "in person". What I had to say fell on deaf ears - they just didn't care. They didn't care then - and apparently they still don't. Maybe next year - I keep hoping...
^..^

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...