Friday, August 5, 2011

LHQ - Hand Applique Tip

LEFT-HANDED QUILTING - Hand Applique Tip

============
Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.
If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions.
============

RIGHT-HANDED quilters tend to sew from RIGHT TO LEFT when sewing by hand.

RIGHT-HANDED quilters also tend to sew AWAY from themselves –
COUNTER-CLOCKWISE –
around the TOP - when doing hand-applique.

I am LEFT-HANDED - and I sew from LEFT TO RIGHT.

So – in theory – all I have to do is REVERSE it, right?

Then the questions is - REVERSE WHAT?

We have THREE things that – in theory – could be REVERSED.
  1. AWAY from myself - reverse to - TOWARD myself
  2. COUNTER-CLOCKWISE – reverse to - CLOCKWISE
  3. around the TOP – reverse to - around the BOTTOM
Reverse ONE?  OK.  But which ONE?


Reverse TWO?  OK.  But which TWO?

Reverse THREE? OK.  But which THREE?  (Just kidding!  ;))

BEING A LEFT-HANDED QUILTER IS NOT FOR WIMPS!!

Here’s a sample -
the blue is the appliqué -
the muslin is the background


When I tried to sew AWAY from myself -
CLOCKWISE –
around the TOP of the appliqué -
I found it difficult to see what I was doing.


But –

As soon as I began to sew TOWARD myself – 
COUNTER-CLOCKWISE  – 
around the BOTTOM of the appliqué - 
I could see what I was doing and my hand-applique improved immensely!!   


Try it - it may work for you.



Talk to you later - gotta go – gotta sew -

3 comments:

Katie M. said...

okay... away from myself? Yep, sometimes I do and that's when I'm using my thumb to push the needle - now you've made me think about how I hand stitch :-) Counter clockwise? Gosh, I don't know if I do or not - darn it, more paying attention time. Kitty, quit making me think! Now I have to go applique something :-)

Susan said...

hehehehhe I am also a lefty and you have just made me laugh and enjoy that we are rather special on this earth. hehehehe Hugs from another lefty.Will be following your blog if you dont mind?

Susan said...

Okay I have added the image and hope I have done it right, not good with this computer stuff. Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...