Monday, October 29, 2018

A bit of a side-step -


Some little itty-bitty 4-patches - in sets of 4 - with a few leftover "oddballs" -
for a scrappy pattern that I found on one of my favorite FREE pattern sites - AllPeopleQuilt - dot - com - that I'll tell you about later - it's a "mystery" - LOL - ;))


Then I finished Crumb Blocks - Set #9 -
Only 5 more sets to go - before I make the BIG blocks to "upsize"
my Deep Red Crumb Squares quilt top from a 4x4 layout to a 5x6 one -


After I cut this layer cake up -
Kaffe Fassett Collective for Free Spirit -


I told Frog Quilter -
I have a layer cake that I'm going to cut up for another "Basic Math" quilt for a Quilty Hug for you. It's one that I got from Craftsy - "Kaffe" prints. I don't know what the big deal is with his "collection" - the colors are pretty - but they all have the same "value" - medium. There are very few if any "lights" or "darks". Anyway - the prints are HUGE - and the pattern is simple - so it should show them off pretty well.
As you can probably tell - I'm not a big fan - but it was on sale - so I got it to see what it looked like "in real life". And I don't like it when they "pink" the edges - these are supposed to be 10" squares and barely make it to the inch marks on my cutting mat - on top of the fact that some of them are crooked - you can see the "slant" on the top and bottom stripes -


From the other angle - the left and right ones are crooked. Not that I particularly care - but if I cut it "straight" - I'll be short - and if I cut it to the "size" I need - the pieces will look crooked which then makes my work look sloppy - so it's a "no win" situation. You'd think - for as much as they charge for these things - that they could at least cut them straight. OK - down off my soap box - at least for now - LOL - ;))


Like I said - the colors are pretty - but they all read as "medium" to me -


To prove it - I edited this photo to show in black/white - so that you could see what I mean - but - much to my surprise - there ARE various shades of gray - so I guess it's NOT all medium - and it IS just me - LOL - ;))


But then again - I took this photo a while back on a charcoal gray background fabric that was in my stash. A friend of mine put it in a photo editor for me and made it shades of gray. We agreed that most of the "Kaffe" is almost the same value as the charcoal - ;))


Either way - the colors are pretty - and the Basic Math pattern - Moda Bake Shop - Original Recipe - by Debbie Grifka - HERE - should show off the prints pretty well - and it will make someone a nice Quilty Hug - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Gene Black said...

It does annoy me when expensive fabric is crooked like that. Sometimes even the yardage is printed crooked.

Another "mystery" huh? You like to keep us in suspense.

Ellen T. said...

I am also a Leftie (and today is my birthday!) what a great discovery for me your blog is.

Katie said...

Stuff isn't printed straight, so when they cut, it just gets worse... As for Kaffe, I find most if what he does fairly ugly. The colors are beautiful, saturated hues, but too much of a good thing all mashed together. And I never thought about it, but they are fairly one-valued, too. But to each his own, right? And it will make a beautiful quilty hug for someone who probably won't know enough to criticize! And now what are these teeny four patches...?!

Jeanna said...

I'm sure your Kaffe quilty hug will be appreciated. It is frustrating to try to work with prints that aren't straight.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Ellen - you are a Google+ - "no-reply" commenter - and I am unable to find your email address to properly respond to your comment - so I will reply here - if you don't mind -

Happy Birthday!! And Welcome to my blog!! I'm glad you found me - please check out all of the tabs across the top of the page. Hopefully you will find some helpful information - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...