Sunday, October 21, 2018

Empty basket -


I emptied the basket this afternoon -

I still have to die cut one pile - and put some "away" -

But the basket is EMPTY!! - ;))


I started by pulling out a big bag of muslin scraps that I'm not even going to bother to go through - and some oddball bits - that will all hit the trash -


I did pull these out and pressed them and added them to the SOLID basket -


Then rummaged through for the larger chunks -


Which left me with this -


The larger chunks sorted out nicely -



And I eventually got it down to one last box full of scraps to sort through -


Tomorrow I'll put them "away" in the various piles - and run the ones in the basket in front on the left though the strip die cutter - ;))


I had to smile when I pulled this one out - it's a scrap from a dress I made our daughter when she was in grade school - over forty years ago - ;))


I have a lot of NEUTRAL scraps - but they are not "standard" sizes - so I can't just use them in any old block - so the plan is to use them up like so -
  • smaller bits and pieces - and shorter strips - perfect for "crumb" blocks -
  • longer/wider strips - wonky and otherwise - perfect for "string" blocks -

Then I have some decisions to make -
  • what blocks do I want to make
  • what size do I want to make them
  • what dies do I need to cut the strips/pieces
  • what colors do I want to use for which blocks

Then the FUN part - going through the larger chunks - choosing the pieces to cut - and cutting them - and kitting them -

For the past week or so - I've been in pressing/sorting mode -

Now I can switch to cutting/kitting mode -

And then get those scraps into some pretty blocks -

And those blocks into some SCRAPPY quilts - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Gene Black said...

Whew! There really is a light at the end of that tunnel! LOL

Katie said...

EMPTY BASKET!!!!!!!! Are you celebrating? Good for you deciding some fabrics just aren't worth the trouble. (Im getting better at that...) And now we wait to see what amazing things you'll make!

Jeanna said...

Congratulations, you did it! It must feel wonderful to have such a big task completed and organized. I'm inspired to go make something...oh wait, my scraps are still a mess.

Barb said...

Wont you come to my house?

Julie Fukuda said...

The last quilt I finished of the organized crumbs had fabric from both my kids clothing and mine ... I made their dresses from the fabric of a skirt I had made in high school home-ec class.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...