Monday, October 22, 2018

Next phase -


I started sorting my scraps on 10/11 -

And emptied the BIG basket of NEUTRALS on 10/21 -

Eleven days -

And - believe it or not - it was a very FAST eleven days - ;))

When I started - I said -

So I'm going to try a different approach this time -

First - find the blocks/patterns that I want to make in the next couple of months -

Second - decide what color combinations I want to use -

Third - cut the scraps that I have in those COLORS to those SIZES this time -

I'll always have more scraps as I go along so I can always cut them in different sizes for different projects later -

First I thought I would cut some for some Wonder Blocks -

But I can always use FQ for those -



So I decided to use my dies and cut EVERYTHING into strips of various sizes -

I can use my LEFT-EZE™ Rule to make HST - QST - and Flying Geese -

They can be combined in hundreds of variations all from the same size strip -

I can make sets for more Upstairs/Downstairs blocks -

From the longer strips - ANY color combination will work for those -

And any shorter strips can be used for 4-patches and 9-patches -

I can match them to neutral strips and go from there -

The odd bits and pieces can be added to my "Crumb" collection -

Triangles and strings - are great "Crumb" block finishers - ;))

I'll always have jelly rolls and FQ and yardage for other projects -

It's the SCRAPS that I need to make work for me -

Maybe THIS time I can do it - LOL - ;))

I changed my approach a little as I went along - die cutting some pieces into 1" - 1-1/2" - and 2" strips - and sorting the rest into "crumbs" - "strings" - and larger chunks to be cut later - but keeping in mind some of the "projects" listed above -

So now - after all of my pressing and sorting and putting away of the various scrap strips and bits and pieces - I have this bunch of neutrals - "crumbs" and "strings" -


And these multi-colored "crumbs" and "strings" -


The pressing and sorting was the easy part -

The hard part is deciding what I'm going to DO with what I have - ;))

Because I already have the "crumbs" and "strings" out - I might as well start with them - start with the smaller pieces and work my way up to the larger chunks -

So - here's my list - subject to change due to Squirrel sightings - LOL -
  • DEEP RED Crumb Squares - 56 more "crumb" blocks -
  • Use the "crumbs" - bits and pieces - triangles and short strips -
  • NEUTRALS Crumb Squares - 120 blocks -
  • There are plenty of scraps to make a NEUTRAL version of the "crumb" pattern - use the "crumbs" - bits and pieces - triangles and short strips -
  • NEUTRALS - STRING blocks
  • Use neutral strips not used in "crumb" blocks - longer and wider -
  • BLUE - STRING blocks
  • Use Blue strings in separate bin in closet
  • UPSTAIRS/DOWNSTAIRS blocks -
  • Use 2" die cut strips that are 12-13" or longer - any color -
  • KITE STRING blocks - use die for paper foundation
  • Use any strip shorter than 12"
  • ORANGE PEEL blocks - use die and larger chunks - color/neutral
  • Use 1-1/2" die cut strips for sashing and cornerstones - any length

That should use up a lot of what I have -

And keep me busy for a while - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Love watching your progress. Are all your scraps up to date now?

Great things come from little pieces of fabrics! Hugs.

Gene Black said...

That is a lot of pre-planning. I have quit planning beyond the current quilt unless I have a sudden "epiphany" or inspiration and have to "just try it out"

Julie Fukuda said...

Nice! My librarian self is saying, "A place for everything and everything in its place."

Jeanna said...

I love your disclaimer "subject to change due to Squirrel sightings" that is so perfect! I need to learn more about crumb blocks. I remember you and Gene working on some a while back...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...