Sunday, October 2, 2022

One step at a time -

 
 
Today I added some ties to the hammock -
 
Per Gene's suggestion in his comment yesterday - 
It looks like it will work. I hope that it does, even if it takes a few tweaks. I am thinking that you may add ties to the bottom sides. Those would tie to the back of the frame and angle the bottom of it toward the back and out of the way of your chair. I think that would keep it off your legs/lap.
I thought it was a GREAT idea - 
 
So I pinned some twill tape ties to the middle of the bottom sides - 
I can always move them and/or sew them on later - 
And add one to the middle if needed - 


 

 
When I got the frame - 
I opted for the "table inserts" for the back - 
Even though I'm not going to need them for pantographs yet - 
 
I'm sure glad I got them - 
They came in handy when I was trying to load the batting - 
And kept everything off the floor - 

 
I haven't tacked down the batting yet - 
I just spread out the top (60" x 80") sideways -
Starting in the center - 
To see if it fit - 
 
 
The pin marks the end of the backing zipped to the 88" leader cloth - 
 
The batting is 90" wide (and 108" long) so it fits nicely - 
 
And the top is about an inch past that straight line on the leader cloth -
 
 
The same on this end - 
 
The pin is off the end at the left side - 
 
But the top is about an inch past the straight line on the leader cloth - 
 
Which is probably why "they" say to place everything from the center out -  

To keep everything centered -

And to keep the sides straight -

 
I probably could have shifted the batting over to the right a little - 
 
But the top would have wound up in the same place - 
 
And it's not bad for my first time -
 
Tomorrow I'll baste down the top of the batting - 
 
Then baste the quilt top in place - 
 
Clamp the top and batting to the front rail - 
 
Tuck everything inside the hammock - 
 
And go from there - 
 
One step at a time - ;))
 
 
 

Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 
 

2 comments:

Gene Black said...

I hope my idea for holding the hammock out of the way helps when you start quilting. The setup looks good.

Katie said...

Oh man, you're ambitious to load such a large top for the first go. Then again, the machine isn't new any more, just the setup, so it's not entirely a first time. And I'm sure with time you'll figure out what things "they" say that you can ignore, what "they" missed and what "they" were right about. I think everyone has their own methods and am a firm believer that if it comes out well and no one gets hurt, you try probably doing it right.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...