Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Ready -

 
 
Today I basted the batting down to the backing fabric - 
 
Stitched the quilt top in place - 
 
And clamped down the front of the batting and quilt top -  

On my Upstairs/Downstairs - Wild Things-
 
 
And I installed the side bungee cords - 
Forgot about them - 

 
This machine has a 15" throat - 
And with this frame I have a 12" deep work space - 
 
The blocks are only 10" - 
 
So I can stitch from the top yellow square of the top block - 
To the bottom black one - which is the top square in the next block -  

But I'm going to limit myself to one block - and do one row at a time -
 

So I'm ready to quilt - 

If I could only decide - 
What I want to quilt - where - LOL -
 
I followed the suggestion of Linda S - Art in Search
 
Who said she prints out a copy of the quilt diagram - 
Puts it in a sheet protector - 
Then doodles on it with a dry-erase marker - 
 
And I came up with some possibilities - 
 
#1 - My first thought was to do an "X" in each square - 
But that would require a LOT of passes across one row to hit them all -
And I would need a ruler to get the diagonal lines straight - 
Unless I just "eye-balled" it from one corner to the other - 
 
#2 - Then I thought of  a giant swirly "C" or "e" looking thing - 
But that leaves the corners of the block unquilted - 
And doesn't really "enhance" the patchwork design much - 


#3 - Then I drew back and forth lines - changing direction with each block - 
That seems to be my go-to when I'm doing Free-Motion quilting -
It's not fancy - but it covers the territory pretty well - 
And might not be a bad choice for my first "real" quilt on this frame - 
 
But then BOB thought that it would be nice to have something - 
That would work in those "diamond" areas -
They were just calling for something "diamond-y" - 
 
If I could only think of something - LOL - 
And it would have to be something that I could quilt one row at a time - 
 
So BOB and I tried again -
 
What if I did the back and forth lines on the diagonal? -
So I doodled two rows of that - 
 

The top row is more curvy and would be harder to control - 
The bottom row is straighter and goes through the corners of the squares - 
And it has some "travel" stitching to get from one corner to the other - 
 
But I like it best of all my doodles -

I have a lot of these Upstairs/Downstairs tops to quilt - 

And I need to come up with something -

What do you think? -
 
Any suggestions? - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

3 comments:

Cindy Quilts said...

I like the bottom row best too. Have fun!

Gene Black said...

I think you should do each of the Upstairs/Downstairs quilts differently.
Also if you changed the scale of the swirly C, making it half that size, it would work better with the quilt.
I do like either option of the back and forth lines. Once you get more comfortable quilting with the machine, I think you will find more options. And you will be more adventurous with your quilting designs.

Katie said...

I do like the diagonals, but can see that the bottom one will require a lot more precision than the upper one. The middle E designs also are fun and I think would look good, too. But with those you'll need to be more mindful of seams and whether you want to stitch in the ditch or not and that may require a little marking to keep you on track. Nothing you can't handle and I'm sure whatever you do will look great! Now go do it!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...