Tuesday, October 25, 2022

The backing -

 
 
For my Simply Woven
 
 
And Halloweenie Interweave

 
Was sewn today - 
 
 
I inserted a BLACK panel near the top of the backing - 
 
To make it longer to accommodate both quilts -
 
And - since I'm loading both quilts sideways - 
 
One right after the other - with the same backing - 
 
This BLACK panel will be a little off-center - 
 
In the back of Simply Woven
 
 
I didn't realize how "stripey" those GRAY branches look - 
 
Until I took this photo - 
 
Good thing I cut it straight - LOL - 
 
 
I was on a roll - 
 
And added the zippers to both the top and the bottom - 
 
And then zipped the backing to the leader cloths - 
 
Because it's loaded with the WRONG side UP - 
 
You can really see the "blobs" of branches in this photo - 
 
 
 
Tomorrow I'll roll the backing onto the rails - 
 
Then play with adding a piece to the batting to make it longer as well -
 
I still haven't decided how I want to quilt either one - 
 
But I want to quilt Simply Woven first -
 
Simply because it is the larger of the two - 

And - if you're wondering how I like the "zippers" - 

I LOVE them!! - 

It takes a little time to baste them to the top and the bottom of the backing - 

And then to "unbaste" them - 

But that little bit of time is SO worth it - 
 
It's so much easier for me - 
 
And my back -  

To just "zip" them on - and off -

Rather than having to stand/bend/reach/sit - 
 
To pin the backing to both leader cloths -
 
Plus - I don't get "stuck" when I smooth out the backing - 
 
And I don't have to poke anything into any "groove" - 
 
My leader cloths are attached to the rails with velcro - 
 
And the "other" half of each zipper is basted to the leader cloths - 
 
So it works for me - ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

2 comments:

Gene Black said...

I think that that backing is going to work out well for both of the quilts.

I am so glad that you got the zippers and love using them. It does seem a lot easier from my "just looking" end of things.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Some people staple their zippers onto the backing but I don't think I would want to take a chance of a staple flying as it was removed.

I have seen the distinctive pattern to some backings in photos too and had to go back and look at the fabric to check it out. I had one that ran in diagonal rows and it wasn't noticeable except viewing from a distance.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...