Friday, June 22, 2018

Off the wall -


And on the kitchen island to "evaluate" - ;))

Grab a cup of coffee - this is a "process" post - ;))


Yup - looks kinda lumpy -

Maybe it will "press out" - LOL - ;))


Starting in the middle - and since I have a "dry" iron - spritzing some water on one section and pressing (not ironing) my way to each side - my version of "blocking" -

Left side looks OK -


And so does the Right side -


Move to the top section -
Spritz - press - Right side looks OK -


Left corner is not perfect - but close enough -


Move to the bottom section -

Right side looks a little wavy -


But it "pressed out" -


And then there's this corner -

I think I found the problem - LOL - ;))


Yup - that's not going to "press out" -


Might have something to do with this part - LOL - ;))


Un-stitched that bit of the seam -


And smoothed it out -

Hmmmmmm - that might be the problem - ;))


Yup - if I line it up to sew it back together - it would still be wonky -


And of course it can't be on one of the corners that has ONE seam across the row -

Oh, no - it's one of the "middle" rows with the seams going both directions -

BOB is laughing at me right now - TOLD you so!! - LOL - ;))


So I took off the end row with the one corner block -

And I'll need to replace the side triangle on the next row -


Checked the top section -

Looks straight to me -


The bottom of the center square looks OK, too -


But the LEFT "wing" triangle is WAY OFF -


And the RIGHT one is EVEN WORSE -


OK - check the seams - they BOTH look awful -

No wonder they're off -



Take those apart -


Check the LEFT one - looks straight -
Just needs to be sewn back on STRAIGHT -


The RIGHT one isn't even straight -
No sense bothering to sew that one back on -


The corner triangle looks pretty straight -
So I'll sew it back on when I get to that part -


Check the plastic bin - for the "2 Extra QST from 13" Sq" -
I originally cut 5 squares and got 20 QST but only needed 18 - so had 2 extra -
Good thing - because I need one for this row -


Re-do the row with LOTS of pins this time -

First the one side -
Across the top and down the side that is going to be sewn -



And the other side - same way - across the top and down the side to be sewn -


Stitch them - press them to the BLUE -

The top looks OK -

So I added the corner triangle -



And pressed it up - away from the block -


Laid it out to check to see if it was STRAIGHT -

Bottom looks straight -


LEFT side looks STRAIGHT -


RIGHT side looks STRAIGHT -


But before I sew it back on - I may need to do some trimming -
I'll check again later before I actually sew it -


For now I need to remove that wonky side triangle -


And thank goodness I have a SECOND extra side triangle -

Because this is one of THOSE days - LOL - ;))


Checking to see if I need to trim anything -

I'm measuring 4-1/4" from the Right side of the sashing strip to the Left edge of the block -

The top section looks good -


The bottom section looks good -


But this middle section needs trimming -


Not much - but enough to make a difference in whether or not I get a STRAIGHT seam -


So - sew the NEW side triangle on -


And it looks like it will be just fine -


I'll finish sewing the seam tomorrow -

And then I'll check the ends of all of the seams on the row to make sure that they are "stitched" and not partially unsewn -

Then I should be able to re-sew the corner section back on -

Hope that fixes it - ;))

BOB reminded me of the time I asked my boss why there never seemed to be enough time to do it right - but always enough time to do it over. He stopped questioning how long it took me to do something after that - ;))

Note to self - SLOW DOWN - take your time and do it right the first time - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Sherry said...

Glad to see that you were able to figure out where the problem was.

Katie said...

Glad you found the problem and it wasn't any worse to fix. Hoping it all looks good in the end! And I love BOB's comment about doing things over. I've always been a believer in taking time to do stuff right, but it seems that it's an uphill battle with employers...

Jeanna said...

Wow, it is obvious you know what you are doing. I'm glad you figured it out and I hope it all comes together correctly, or to your satisfaction, when you pick it up again tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Testing - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...