Monday, June 25, 2018

Two birds -


With one stone - ;))

At least that's what I thought when I saw a Squirrel the other day on Katie's blog in this post and realized that I could incorporate it into the backing top that I'm playing with for my Blue Floral Crumb Square quilt top -

So I cut all of the pieces for one "Swoon" block - and will play with sewing it together tomorrow - ;))


I bought the "class" - so I already had and paid for the "pattern" - but I redrafted it - and I probably can't share what I did or how I did it - because that doesn't see to be allowed - even though the designer freely admitted that she found an "antique" pattern and didn't like the "Y-seams and templates so (she) spent a few days drafting it using only HST and Flying Geese to see if (she) could make it a little bit simpler." She basically took a pattern that been done BEFORE and redrafted it - making it her way - then sold both the "pattern" and the "class" - to all of us.

Well - BOB and I basically did the same thing (except for the selling the "pattern" and the "class" part) - we tried to simplify it - because we didn't like the way she cut hers - and I wanted to see if I could use pre-cut Strips instead of Fat Quarters -

I also didn't like the way she made her HST and Flying Geese - so I did those differently, too -

We ALL know that there are LOTS of ways to make HST and Flying Geese - and I certainly don't want to infringe on her "copyright" - so I'll have to leave it to your imagination as to what I did and how I did it - since I won't be posting any of my "process" photos - just photos of the finished block -

So stay tuned - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



2 comments:

Jeanna said...

I find lots of those opportunities with patterns too :) Can't wait to see your finish. I like the Swoon block but didn't purchase the pattern nor class.

Katie said...

Okay, it took her "a few days" to redraft? A few DAYS???!!!??? I'll defend that the construction methods may have been driven by trying to squeeze all the life out of fat quarters, but a FEW DAYS? (And I'll admit, I could have drafted it myself, but sometimes a gal needs those patterns to remind herself of the squirrels she sees! But I'd guess an hour. Tops.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...