Sunday, November 4, 2018

Burst of color -


From that "Kaffe" layer cake I showed you last week -


Basic Math - Moda Bake Shop - Original Recipe by Debbie Grifka - HERE - should show off the pretty colors/prints and make someone a nice Quilty Hug - ;))


These 4-patches look a bit BUSY to me - and there is no place for my eye to rest - but we'll see what happens when I get the rest of it sewn together -

I can use some of these to tone it down a little if need be -


And these might make nice borders -


But when I measured the blocks that I made - NONE of them came out to the size they were supposed to be - NONE of them - so I did a bit of un-sewing - realized that I had the wrong setting for my 1/4" - fixed that - and they STILL didn't come out the right size -

Un-sewed them again - there's only ten - so it's not too bad - and tried sewing them again. The only way I can get them up to size is to sew "skimpy" seams - and that is really crappy construction - and probably won't hold up well with "normal use" - so that isn't an option -

I think I messed up on the cutting with those dang "pinked" edges - so tomorrow I'm going to start over - sew the pairs - measure them all - find the smallest one - and trim the rest of them to that size - then sew the 4-patches - if they all come out the same size - I'm good to go - if not - I'll trim them all down to the size of the smallest one - and go from there -

This is another PERFECT example of Rule #5 -
See the RULES page/tab at the top of my blog -

Rule #5 -
Sometimes Blocks don't have to be the RIGHT SIZE -
they just have to be the SAME SIZE!
 


As long as all of the blocks play nicely and fit together when I sew the top -

I'll let them decide what size they want to be - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Those blocks are stunning! Yum.

Gene Black said...

I love those bright colors. And I certainly agree with you about size - as long as they all fit together, it works. I have been known to sash one or two sides of a block to make it fit.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just sewed a quilt at retreat with a Kaffe jellyroll. The pinked edges made havoc of the sewing and quilt, Basket Case by Cluck Cluck Sew.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...