Saturday, November 17, 2018

Mini test -


To see what this block would look like in other sizes -

So I cut some pieces from 2" strips - instead of 2-1/2" -


Arranged them like so -


And sewed them together -

Up close - they look a little smaller, of course -


But from back here - they look A LOT smaller - ;))


So then I tried some 1-1/2" strips and 1" strips - just for fun -


They look a bit smaller than the 2" ones -


And A LOT smaller than the 2-1/2" ones - LOL - ;))


In case your wondering about the MATH -

Don't worry - I did some for you - LOL - ;))

===

You can use a variety of squares for the centers -

But you will need to "match" two squares and two rectangles to make the "outer ring" of the block -

I cut TWO different strips at a time - in each size - for TWO different blocks -
So I could swap out the "centers" as I went along -

You will need THREE squares the same size as the strip -
ONE for the center - TWO "matching" ones for the middles -

And TWO "matching" rectangles the same size as all THREE squares added together MINUS one inch - the seam allowances will eat up ONE whole inch of fabric when you sew the three squares together - and the rectangle has to be the same length as the three sewn-together squares -

My 2" strips were 16"+ long -
And I cut 3 squares @ 2" and 2 rectangles @ 5"
2 + 2 + 2 + 5 + 5 = 16

My 1-1/2" strips were 11-1/2"+ long -
And I cut 3 squares @ 1-1/2" and 2 rectangles @ 3-1/2"
1-1/2 + 1-1/2 + 1-1/2 + 3-1/2 + 3-1/2 = 11-1/2

My 1" strips were 7"+ long -
And I cut 3 squares @ 1" and 2 rectangles @ 2"
1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 7

===

You could probably "up-size" these, too -

I didn't make them - but I did the MATH - if you want to try some -

And you might want to add a little to the length for trimming -

3" strip - you'll need 25"+ -
Cut 3 squares @ 3" and 2 rectangles @ 8"
3 + 3 + 3 + 8 + 8 = 25"

3-1/2" strip - you'll need 29-1/2"+ -
Cut 3 squares @ 3-1/2" and 2 rectangles @ 9-1/2"
3-1/2 + 3-1/2 + 3-1/2 + 9-1/2 + 9-1/2 = 29-1/2"

4" strip - you'll need 34"+ -
Cut 3 squares @ 4" and 2 rectangles @ 11"
4 + 4 + 4 + 11 + 11 = 34"

4-1/2" strip - you'll need 38-1/2"+ -
Cut 3 squares @ 4-1/2" and 2 rectangles @ 12-1/2"
4-1/2 + 4-1/2 + 4-1/2 + 12-1/2 + 12-1/2 = 38-1/2"
That's almost the entire width of fabric (WOF) so I stopped there - ;))

===

Anyway - that's what I came up with if you want to cut ALL of the pieces for ONE block from ONE strip - then mix up the centers -

And if you want to cut the "centers" from scraps -
You can always subtract one "square" from the list of pieces to cut from a strip -

OR cut the pieces from "matching" strips if you only have short strips -

OR you can always double the length of the strip and cut TWO blocks at a time -

Soooooooo many possibilities -

Remember - Rule #2 -

Do What Works For You! - LOL - ;))




Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Katie said...

Those tiny ones are kinda cute! Uh oh! (No, Katie, no. No more squirrels!)

Gene Black said...

I am thinking you could use "four of those made from 1 1/2 inch strips" to make one as large as the 2 1/2" ones (early morning math - don't take it as accurate) OR add more strips around one of the smaller ones to up-size it to fit with the larger ones.
(just in case you needed to play with some more squirrels! LOL)

Cindy Quilts said...

I have have that cat fabric!
Looks like you are having fun playing around with the blocks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...