Monday, March 11, 2019

Back up -


And rethink this whole thing - ;))

The "hole" in this CENTER plate can be covered by a 2" circle -

But should it be 2" or 2-1/2" to match the other ones? - ;))


I had thought that the QUARTER circles for the rest of the blocks -

Could/should be cut from 3" circles to match -

To allow for seam allowances -

But last night - while I slept on it - my brain kept nagging at me -

Why do I need to make the larger circles a FULL inch bigger -

When they only need 2 quarter inch seam allowances in each direction? -

Wouldn't that be only HALF an inch bigger? - ;))

So I decided to work backwards -

To see what size circle I needed for the CENTER plate - ;))

First - I want/need the QUARTER circles to be 3" before they are cut -

Because I have a die for that - LOL - ;))


If my math is correct - I will need 18 circles -

And if I use the die - it will make cutting them much easier -

I can fuse some stuff to the back of some fabric -

And then cut them into QUARTERS -

To use on the outer corners of the QUARTER plates -

WITH seam allowances -


And - if the "twosies" are already sewn together -

They don't need the seam allowances in the middle -

So I could use 2-1/2" circles for those -

Which would make the matching circle for the CENTER plate - 2-1/2" not 2" - ;))

I tested it with some paper circles - and 2-1/2" works just fine -

It would have been a LOT easier if had just cut some paper circles in both sizes and tried them - too bad I didn't think of that first - LOL - ;))

Sometimes I make simple things SO complicated -

But I wanted/needed to work it out in my head - step-by-step -

Before I wasted any fabric - ;))

Speaking of which -

I found these three YUMMY batiks -

That would make GREAT centers -

But I can't decide which one to use -

I like the way the BLUE one "POPS" -

BROWN goes with everything -

And GREEN is always a pretty addition -


Which one do you like best? -

And if Jennifer doesn't choose the GREEN one -

She's probably not feeling well - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Gene Black said...

my choice is the blue one...but only because BLUE.

Any of the three will work well. But I like the blue best and green second.

Katie said...

I think they're all too dark compared to the backgrounds I've seen. Blue is closets in color value, and they're all beautiful, but I'd either have to see all the backgrounds with them or look for something a bit lighter...but that's just me. It's your quilt!

Sherry said...

I'm with Katie. . .I think they are all too dark for what you have so far. Your eye would go right to them & all the lovely fans would be lost.

And now to be completely ornery I'm going to suggest that you might want to use a different color for each circle. . . that would get your eye moving around the quilt.

Ok, I'm going back under my rock! LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...