Monday, October 25, 2021

Biggie Size Interweave -

 
 
Today I decided to sort and cut one set of strips - 
 
For my Biggie Size Interweave -
 
And I took a bunch of photos as I went along - 
 
So hopefully it will help those of you who want to make a larger version - 
Of the pattern - Interweave - 48" x 56" -
Designed by Marlous Carter -
Timeless Treasures - Free Pattern - HERE
===
 
The larger version should come out to about 52" x 72" - 

My center strip came out to about 72" long -
 

 
So I think my math is "close enough" - LOL - ;))
 
You will need to print out the pattern as written - 
 
Since I don't want to plagiarize her instructions -
 
And the construction method is exactly the same - 
 
Only the fabric requirements - 
 
And cutting sizes and quantities are a bit different - 
 
So - 
 
Let's start at the beginning - 
 
And I will recap it all at the end - 
 
FABRIC REQUIREMENTS - 
 
One 40-strip jelly roll with 40 different fabrics - 
One MATCHING 40-square charm square pack with 40 different fabrics - 
 
 
 
VERY IMPORTANT - 
Make sure that each strip has a MATCHING charm square - 
 

 
MATCHING - 
 
Take one strip at a time and match it to its charm square - 

 
I folded the strip over onto itself a couple of times -

 

And put it "inside" the charm square - 


 

 
And made little piles -

 
 And laid them out - staggered - in two rows of 20 -

 
PAIRINGS - 
 
I didn't "overthink" the pairings - 
And separated the rows into two groups of ten - 
One from the top row - 
One from the bottom row - 
Should work fine -

 
Same with this group on the right - 

 
The only two that looked too "matchy-matchy" pattern-wise - 
 
Were these two GREENS and BROWNS -
 
 
But it was an easy fix - 
 
I just swapped the BROWN ones -

 
And put them back where they belonged -

 
Then picked up one from the top row - 
And one from the bottom row - 
For the "set" - 
 
And made some piles - 
Alternating "sets" horizontally and vertically -

 
CUTTING - 

Then I chose one pair as my "test" set -

I wanted to make sure that the charm square was "oriented" - 
The same way the strip was - 
So I found a "match" in the print - 
To tell me which way the charm square should go - 

You can see the group of flowers in the lower right of the charm square -
Are "oriented" the same way as the group of flowers in the strip -

 
Same with this one - 
 
I found a flower and some leaves in the strip to match to the charm square - 
And turned the charm square around to face the same direction - 
 
 
These two strips are lined up at this end -

 
But the top one is shorter than the bottom one -

 
I took them to my cutting mat - 
And BLUE one is 22-1/2" doubled - so 45" BEFORE I trim the selvage - 
The WHITE one is 22" doubled - so 44" BEFORE I trim the selvage -

 
BOB thinks that the strips in a jelly roll should ALL be the same length - 
But then again - it's probably just me - LOL - 

Anyway -
 
I used my LEFT-EZE™ Rule to trim the selvage on each strip - 

 
And stacked them "right sides together" - 
 
And cut FIVE squares at 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" - 


 
Then I cut ONE section - 2-1/2" x 18-1/2" - to be used for the "ends" -
 
Which left me with two extra pieces that will be used for "borders" later - 
Set those aside for now -

 
Then I put the charm squares "right sides together" - 
And made a vertical cut down the middle - at 2-1/2" -

 
And another cut - horizontally - down the middle - at 2-1/2" -

 
Giving me FOUR more squares for the "checkerboard" center -

 
I stacked them up - 
They are already matched - 
And ready to sew -

 
NINE sets of squares -

 
SEWING - 
 
Chain-piece the sets of squares -

 
I clipped them apart - 
And laid out the ones cut from the charm pack - on the top row - 
And the ones cut from the strips - in the middle row - 
And put the "end" pieces in the bottom row -

 
My CDO said that the end piece would match nicely - 

 

 
But it forgot that the BLUE end needs to be sewn to a WHITE square - 
 
To make the "checkerboard" -

And has to go on the other end - LOL -

 
And the WHITE end goes next to a BLUE square at the beginning of the "strip" -

 
So I opened them all out - 
And made sure that the WHITE patch was top - 
As I ran them through the sewing machine - 
So I wouldn't accidentally sew two of the same color together -

 
Laid them out as they were sewn -

 

 
And kept sewing the parts together - 
Until I got one looooooooooooooooong strip -

 
Which I folded over -
So there are four layers -

 
And it measures about 72" - 


 
The strip isn't pressed yet - 
So the 72" is approximate - 
 
===
RECAP - 
 ===
FABRIC REQUIREMENTS - for a 52" x 72" top
One 40-strip jelly roll
One MATCHING - 40 piece charm pack

Sort the strips per the pattern - WITH the matching charm squares -
Keep the sets together throughout construction.
===
CUTTING - 
HINT - You can stack one pair of strips together right sides together - 
And cut two strips at a time - 
 
From each strip (or matched pair) -
Cut FIVE - 2-1/2" squares (matched and ready to sew)
Cut ONE section 2-1/2" x 18-1/2" (separate them and use them for the "ends")
Set aside the remaining length of strip(s) - for the borders (mine were 12" & 13")
 
From each charm square (or matched pair) -
Cut FOUR - 2-1/2" squares - 
OR - Stack the pair of charm squares together right sides together - 
And make a vertical cut down the middle - @ 2-1/2" -
And then make a horizontal cut down the middle - @ 2-1/2" -
You will have FOUR squares matched and ready to sew -
===
SEWING -
Follow the pattern for block construction -
But sew NINE 2-1/2" squares alternately - 
To make a checkerboard strip 2-1/2" x 36-1/2"
 
Add the end strips for a LONG strip 2-1/2" x 72-1/2"
Do not press the seams

Make the center portion per the pattern
===
BORDERS -
Sort the border strips into SIX piles of SIX strips - using 36 strips - 

You will have FOUR left over -
They may be cut in half for EIGHT "extra" pieces -
To be added to the SIX piles of strips to make the borders longer if needed -
 
Sew each pile of strips - end to end - to make SIX long strips about 72" -

Sew THREE border strips together - make TWO sets -
Then sew ONE set to each side - per the pattern - and trim as needed -

The top should measure about 52" x 72" - give or take - LOL - ;))
===

If you have ANY questions about my "tweaks" - 
 
Please don't hesitate to ask - 

I think my math is correct -
 
Bu I could be wrong - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -
 

4 comments:

Gene Black said...

The instructions look good. I am not about to second guess you on the math. As I am reading this, it is very early - at least for me.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Holy cow, you got all that done and documented in such a short while. What are the odds of finding matching charm packs and strips? I love the size, totally usable as a comfort quilt. I will have to print this out after rehab today and pour over it. You are amazing.

Barbara said...

Holymoly! I will revisit when Im fully awake!

Jeanna said...

Excellent instructions!!!! Weird that all the strips in the jelly roll weren't the same length.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...