Saturday, October 2, 2021

The second cut -

 
 
On the first block - 
 
Was wrong - 
 
So if this was my TEST block - 
 
I failed - LOL - 
 
Now BOB is giving me a hard time - 
 
Saying, "I TOLD you so!!" - ;)) 

 
===
Simply Woven Quilt - by moda fabrics -
Moda Bake Shop - 
Jessica Kelly -  HERE
===
 
I forgot to re-read the instructions BEFORE I made the second cut - 
 
The part that said - 

After you insert a strip - 

You need to ROTATE the block -

Before you make the next cut - 

NOTE TO SELF - RULE #1 - 
The LAST strip that you added - 
Needs to be HORIZONTAL  -
When you go to make the NEXT cut - 
 
So - do over - 
 
One BIG advantage of having a "stash" -
Is the ability to re-cut your mistakes test blocks - LOL - 

 
This time - 
 
The Black strip is HORIZONTAL - 
 
And the third strip is ready to be inserted - 
 
 

Here's where I had to make a LEFT-HANDED adjustment - 
 
The instructions say to make your cut to the RIGHT of the vertical strip - 
 
LEFT-HANDED - make your cut to the LEFT of the vertical strip - 

 
That will give me a MIRROR image of the block - 
 
But since all of the blocks will be the same MIRROR image - 
 
I should be fine - 
 
 
The instructions also say to press the seams open - 

And I'm not a big fan of "open" seams - 

So I made my own pressing "plan" -
 
Then sewed and pressed two blocks and put them up on the wall - 
 
To see if I could get the seams to "nest" nicely - 
 
YES!! - 
 


 
Then I tested the rotation of the blocks - 
 
To see if the seams would still nest nicely if I turned them -

The original set -  

 
And they do "nest" if I turn them both 180° - 
No surprise there - they are both turned upside-down - LOL -  

 
But what if - 
 
The first one is rotated 180° -
 
And the second one is rotated another quarter turn? - 
 
YES!! - 
 
 
So - 
 
I'm satisfied that my pressing "plan" will work -  
 
And will allow me to rotate the blocks to get a nice variation in the "weave" -
 
Now that I have two blocks done - 
 
I should be able to get my "system" down - 
 
To chain-piece these and make them "assembly-line" style - 
 
This really is a FUN pattern -
 
Even though there will be SIX seams to match - 
 
On each side - 
 
Of each block - LOL - ;))
 

 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 
 
 

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, the pins you'll need. *groan* Somehow it seems the best quilts need the most pins. Or maybe I just like fussy blocks? Anyways, I think you could probably salvage that test block. The seams may not nest as intended, but on the whole no one is going to notice it with everything else going on. But it's your quilt and if you have the fabric to correct a test without trouble, then do that. Whatever floats your boat - this is your quilt!

Gene Black said...

BOB told you so. LOL. Hopefully you won't repeat that mistake- or make any "new" ones.

I think it will be a pretty quilt.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...