Monday, November 21, 2022

First couple of blocks -

 
 
On my Upstairs/Downstairs - Christmas Green
 
Are quilted - 
 
 
I decided to use my "go-to" design - 
 
Back and forth lines - 
 
Changing direction with each block - 
 
This time with 3 lines in each row/column of squares - 


The long white thing you see next to the front rail - 

Is a tube filled with rice that I saw on one of Leah Day's videos -
 
It adds a little "weight" at the bottom of the block - 
 
Since it is actually resting on the backing that is stretched between the rails - 

And it seems to be enough to compensate for the missing clamps - 

I probably could have unrolled the backing from the front rail - 

And let it "live" in the hammock with the batting and rest of the quilt top - 

So that I could use the clamps - 

But it was rolled up so nicely and neatly on the front rail - 

That I didn't really want to unroll it - 

Unless I HAD to - 

And it looks like I don't HAVE to - 

So I'm happy about that - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

4 comments:

Gene Black said...

Ah, I had forgotten about Leah's rice tube trick. I do remember reading about it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think you always want the backing rolled on a bar. That keeps it taut and wrinkle free. If it was loose in the hammock you would have to measure it every time you rolled the quilt to be sure it hadn't pulled in from the sides. There is nothing worse than finding out you have quilted in a big long pleat.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Yay, you got quilting- good for you. Still cleaning up the mess I brought back from quilt retreat.

Katie said...

Hooray for quilting! I've not heard of the rice tube trick, but that gal's voice kinda grates on my nerves, so I don't pay her much attention. (She has a lot of great stuff - proof right here - but kinda like dealing with family, I gotta mentally prepare properly!) Now that you've started, it's all downhill from here, right?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...