Friday, November 25, 2022

The experiment -

 
 
Worked - YAY!! - 
 
I'm documenting it here for my own personal reference - 
 
In case I decide to do it again - 
 
I won't have to "reinvent the wheel" - 
 
And in case any of you are interested - 

===

As you already know -
 
I prepared a backing large enough for two quilts - 
 
My Upstairs/Downstairs - Christmas Red and Christmas Green
 
And then wondered what would happen - 
 
When I got to the end of the second quilt - 
 
And ALL of the bulk was under the throat of the machine -
 
And I saw that I was in trouble - 
 
In Wednesday's post - 
 
When I finished quilting the first one - 
 
And it looked like I had reached the limit - 
 
As far as throat space was concerned - 
 
The needle was at the edge of the last row - 
 
And the "take-up" roll was right up against the back of the machine - 
 
So I wouldn't be able to quilt complete blocks on the second quilt - 
 
As the "take-up" roll slowly reduced my "workspace" - 
 
So I tried an experiment - 
 
I wanted to take the first quilt off the frame - 
 
Before I quilted the second quilt - 
 
But I didn't want to have to unroll all of the backing from the front rail -
 
In order to baste another zipper to the top edge - 
 
Since I needed to do that at another machine -
 
And the backing couldn't be on the frame when I did it -
 
I could have pinned a zipper on - but that would have been a pain (for me) -
 
And I would have done that - as a last resort - 
 
If my experiment didn't work - 
 
But it did! - YAY!! - 
 
===
 
First -
I rolled the first quilt up on the back rail - 
And laid out a zipper to make sure that I had the "correct" half of the zipper -

 
Then I trimmed the batting off just past the edge of the first quilt -
To "reveal" the backing underneath - 
Using a cutting mat between the batting and the backing - 
As extra insurance that I wouldn't accidentally cut the backing fabric - 

 
Going around to the back of the frame - 
Because I'm left-handed and cut from left to right - 

 
Then I used my channel lock to baste a zipper to the backing - 
BEFORE I cut off the first quilt - 
 
The channel lock kept the zipper straight - 
And I basted the zipper from the center out to the edge on each side -
 


 
And as long as I didn't cut the backing BEFORE the zipper was on it -
I wouldn't have a backing rolled on the front rail with no zipper -
 
So AFTER the zipper was basted on - 
I cut the backing between the new zipper and the first quilt -
 
 
In this photo - 
The cut backing with the new zipper is hanging from the top rail -
And the first quilt is rolled up on the bottom rail - 

 
Here's the rolled up first quilt - from the other side of the frame - 

 
Next step - unroll the first quilt from the top rail - 
And fan-fold it on the table inserts - 

 
Until I get to the zipper attaching it to the leader cloth -

 
Unzip the zipper - 

 
Remove the first quilt from the frame - 

 
Fold it up and set it aside - 
So that I can unbaste the zipper before I trim the quilt and bind it - 

 
Zip the backing for the second quilt to the leader cloth -
Using the newly basted on zipper - 

 
Check that the center markings line up - 
They are not perfect - but they are close enough for me - 

 
Now it looks like it should - 
Ready for the second quilt -


 
And I can pretend that I planned it that way all along - LOL - ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 
 

5 comments:

Cindy Quilts said...

Yay! Glad your experiment worked!

Gene Black said...

Great job. I am glad you figured that out. I am sure it saved some work.

Sue said...

Glad it worked. Great idea recording it here. I always think I'll remember something, don't write it down, then am clueless!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Now have you decided it will just be easier to prepare one quilt backing at a time instead of 2 in one? The channel lock idea worked well. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Katie said...

I'm so glad the experiment worked! And it makes a lot more sense with the photos, but is about what I imagined between my thinking and your message a few days ago. Now on to quilting the second top...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...