Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Sorting strips -


Is always fun - ;))

This was the first jelly roll -
Gleaned - © Carolyn Friedlander - Robert Kaufman -

I need five strips per strata -

So the top two in each of the five piles would be one set of strata -

The second two in each of the five piles would be the second strata -

And so on -


The last pile has the "singles" -

So I added the second roll to fix that -

And mixed them up a bit -


Then I realized that I was paying too much attention -

To spreading out the colors -

And not enough attention to the "values" of those colors -

This photo shows that the "values" are all over the place -


Do-over - LOL - ;))

Then I decided to make one pile for one set of strata -

It seemed to make more sense than the other way -

Re-do of the first four sets on the left -



And the second four sets on the right -



I swapped a couple here and there -

And this is the final grouping -

Each pile will make 2 strata - and 6 identical blocks -

Eight variations - for a total of 48 blocks -



This version may not have the same distinctive "lines" as
Upstairs/Downstairs - Meredith -

But the "value runs" should help them play together nicely -

We'll soon see - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Gene Black said...

When I am wondering about value, I love using the camera to show me what I am not seeing. Converting the color to a grayscale value really helps, doesn't it?

I look forward to seeing how these work out

Sue said...

Looking at the values helps prevent unwanted surprises, doesn't it? Looking forward to seeing how the fabrics play together.

Barbara said...

Ah, thinking about value is the sign of a person who is good with color. I never was so I always went with what looked nice to me. This is right up Gene’s alley, brilliant and lovely, I’m sure. Enjoy!

Julie Fukuda said...

That's an interesting way to get a good balance. I like to find a big space and lay things out, then step away. Trouble is, my house doesn't have that kind of space.

Jeanna said...

I learned the grayscale camera trick from Gene a while ago. I've not had much of an opportunity to use it since I am still not comfortable working with my scraps. I feel like you are going to have much success with this one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...