Thursday, March 31, 2022

Even more ditch quilting -

 
 
On my Antique Squirrel - BIG BROTHER version

After I did a couple of the outside rows all the way around - 

I took it to the kitchen island - 

To trim off some excess batting and fabric - 

Which should make it easier to handle - 


There is some puffiness in some areas - 

But that's OK - 

It will be fine - 
 
It's not going to be entered in any contest - 
 
And I'm not going to rip it out - 
 
Speaking of which - 

Yesterday's comments on the seam ripper video were interesting -
 
Gene said - 
I already knew that too. I do that most of the time. However, I have cut the fabric a few times. The seam ripper is sharper than you think.
=== 
 
Jeanna said -
Yep, that's the way I do it but there are times when I still manage to cut into a section I didn't intend to. Thanks for sharing :)
===
 
Barbara said - 
Same here, I manage to cut the fabric no matter how I do it. So I’m happy to take my time.
=== 
 
Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said -
I'm with the majority here. I have used that method and cut my fabric accidentally. I think there is more to the tip on exactly what angle you have to hold the ripper but maybe that just comes with experimentation and practice.
===
 
My response to everyone was - 
I have accidentally cut the fabric many times - which is probably why I "forgot" about it in the first place - LOL - ;)) 
===
 
So then - 
 
Just for giggles - 
 
I thought I would try it again - 
 
On a "test" strip - 
 
I was OK for the first little bit - 
 
 
And the next little bit - 

 
But - sure enough - 
 
When I got to the end - 
 
I ripped the fabric -

So I'm going back to the HARD way -
 
It may take me longer - 
 
But better that -
 
Than ripping something - 
 
That I don't WANT to rip - LOL - ;))


 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I’m with everyone else on the seam ripper, to each his own. It’s not a race anyhow.

Barbara said...

Concerning the quilt, I love puffiness!

Gene Black said...

It truly depends on what I am doing if I use that method for seam ripping. If I have extra fabric, I don't fret as much about it. Or if the quilt is improv already, then I can fix the cut.

Sometimes a bit of puffy is nice on a quilt.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have enough going on without worrying about ripping fabric. I tried those scalpel type rippers- yikes, rips fabric in a blink.

Jeanna said...

I was just ripping out a couple of seams last night and realized that my main seam ripper is broken. It doesn't even have that little red ball. Good thing I have a backup or two.

Sue said...

The quilt is going to be gorgeous when it's finished. Those "you're doing it wrong" videos always make BEB snigger. Now we can add seam ripper police to the list.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...