Thursday, June 8, 2023

More playing -

 
 
With some "new" thread - 
 
And some "old" thread -
 
Mostly I tested them in the bobbin - 
 
To see how well they played with each other -  
 
I won't bore you with all of the photos I took - 
 
But I found decent settings for all of them - 
 
With NO thread breaks - YAY!! - 
 
And - yes - I wrote them down - LOL - 
 
I thought it was interesting that 3 of them - 
 
All 50 wt - 3 ply - polyester -
 
Could look so different - 
Probably due to the price quality - 
 
The top one is "So Fine - Hot Chilies" - it looks skinny and smooth -
 
The middle one is "Finesse - Thicket Brown" -  it looks a bit fuzzy - 
"Finesse" is the one recommended by the manufacturer - 

The bottom one is "Maxilock - Serger Thread - Black" - it looks fuzzy, too - 


Anyway - 
 
I tested the thread that I want to use on my Imperial Bargello
Since I don't have some of them in the colors that I want/need - 
 
Top - Finesse - Thicket Brown - 50 wt - 3 ply - polyester - 
 
Bottom - Maxilock - Black - 50 wt - 3 ply - polyester -
 
And found settings that give me pokies on both the top and bottom - 
 
Which looks pretty balanced to me - LOL - 



After I stitched the sample above I did another test - 

When I was "un-sewing" my Imperial Bargello
The bobbin thread was so loose - 
That all I had to do was snip it every couple of inches - 
Snag it in the middle - and pull -
The stitches all came out easily - 
 
So - I took Jack - my seam ripper -
And tried to "un-sew" a couple of stitches - 

I had to do them one at a time on both the top and the bottom - 

So I took that as a good sign - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

3 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Balancing tension right along with you. My floral quilt is inching closer to done. I have loosened the bobbin also as the manufacturer says 250 but the more I back off, the better it looks. Will keep tweaking. My problem is the top thread lays too flat, bottom is fine.

Gene Black said...

I am glad you are finding settings that work, so that you can get back to quilting that stash of quilt tops that I know you have. Ha ha.

Katie said...

This is very promising news! I hope all this work pays off when you get the quilt on the frame. Maybe a little additional tweaking, but nothing major. I washed 200000 of the windows today and decided that was good enough and now I'm going to go play. Not with tension. Something easier.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...