Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Playing -

 
 
Today I wanted to try to solve my thread breaking issues - 
 
And I wanted to play with some of my new thread - 

But first I wanted to check my needle for any burrs - 

That might be breaking my thread - 

So I ran the thread around the "eye" like I was "flossing" - 

And nothing snagged - so the needle is fine - 

Next I played with the tension settings - again -
 
Started with loosening the bobbin tension just a bit - 
 
And then another bit - 
 
Until I eventually got this -
 
Finesse (50 wt - poly) on top - 
Decobob (80 wt - cottonized polyester) on bottom - 
 
Front - 
 
 
Back - 

 
Then I pulled out some new "prewound" bobbins - 
 
Played with the "lavender" one - 

 
And got this - 
 
Finesse (50 wt - poly) on top - 
Superior Threads - SuperBobs (60 wt - poly) - on bottom - 
 
Front - 

 
Back - 

 
For the bobbins - I did the "drop test" per the manual - 
Loosened the tension until the bobbin case rolled to vertical in my hand - 
But did NOT lift off my hand -
If it did - it would be too tight per the manual - 
 
Then I checked the TOWA gauge reading - and got 170 - 200 -
 
And compared that to the Superior Thread TOWA Gauge Reference Guide - 
Listed as "TOWA Bobbin Gauge Template" - HERE

Which lists my threads in the 170 - 200 range -
So it looks like I got that part right -
 
But I'll test it some more in the next few days - 

As I play with more of my new thread -
 
And - the good news is - NO thread breaks - 
 
There definitely is a fine line between - 
 
The top tension being tight enough to pull up the bobbin thread - 
 
And being so tight that it breaks the thread - 
 
Loosening the bobbin tension seems to have solved that -
 
Now it doesn't have to work so hard to pull up the bobbin thread - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -

4 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, I spent the part of the day fiddling with tension also. My dealer sent me a new tension spring as the original one was a bit heavier wire due to supply chain issues. I worked with the lighter one and so far, a bit better for the top tension. Need to spend more time with it. Glide on top, Glide 60 in the bobbin.

Gene Black said...

I hope that helps to fix your issues. (Finally!)
Did you test with the "old threads" at all?

Kara Kwilts said...

Glad things are looking better with the tension issues, hoping things work fine from now on out. Machines are so tricky. :) Kara

Katie said...

This sounds like positive progress. But does it really have to be THIS hard? (You know I'm dealing with issues, too, so I'm asking for both of us!) The next few days are full of all sorts of chores and whatnot, so it will be a while before I get to play much again, but it gives me something to look forward to when cleaning all 300000 windows in my house tomorrow!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...