Thursday, July 21, 2011

LHQ - Hand Sewing - Ladder Stitch

LEFT-HANDED QUILTING - Hand Sewing - Ladder Stitch

============
Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.
If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions.
============

Here’s a cool little stitch I used to sew up the open side on the “envelope” – style coaster -

It’s called a “ladder” stitch.

Sew from LEFT to RIGHT.

Slip your needle in “under” the seam allowance on the inside –
Through the top fold from the wrong side -
To hide the quilter's knot


Take a small stitch in the bottom fold –
Directly across from where the needle came out in the top fold –

Then straight back across to top -
Take a bite out of the top fold –
Directly across from where the needle came out in the bottom fold –


Take a couple of more stitches


If I pull it apart a bit - can you see how the stitches make a “ladder”?


Cool, huh?



Talk to you later – gotta go – gotta sew -

2 comments:

Katie M. said...

Before I was a quilter, I sewed a lot of stuffed animals and cloth dolls - I always used the ladder stitch to close the seams where they were stuffed. When I started quilting, the ladder stitch was invaluable - thanks for posting a tutorial, Kitty.

Dolores Quilts said...

I am stranded in Georgia today on the way to see my son in Florida Good news is I have internet and am enjoying reading your blog. I too am a left handed quilter. love your tips.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...