Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Two Question Tueday - 7/12/11

Two Question Tuesday – 7/12/11

Here's the deal - I really liked Mama M.'s Five Question Friday - but that's just too many questions for me.  So I'm going to do my version - and without the linky thingy.

I'll ask two questions and then give you my answers.  If you want to play - you can give me your answers in the comment section.  If you have a blog and would rather answer them there - just leave a link to your blog instead.  I don't know how to do the "Linky" thing like Mama M. yet - and to be honest - I would rather sew than find out - so I'll do it this way until I figure it out.
==========

Two questions for you this Tuesday -

1.    Are you interested in hearing other bloggers’ music selections?

2.    What is “modern” quilting?

==========

1.  Are you interested in hearing other bloggers’ music selections?

Nope.  There was one time though – a blogger had made an “Elephant” block and had a music clip of “Elephant Walk” on her blog – that was kinda cute.  BUT - you had to click on it to hear it.  It didn’t just come on automatically – which I think is EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!!

2.  What is “modern” quilting?

I’m not really sure what “modern” quilting is – or what it is supposed to be.  The quilts that I see that are being called “modern” appear to be patterns with simple lines - squares and/or rectangles – and solid fabrics.  They look Amish to me – or like the Gees Bend quilts.

Or they use those “NEW” big/splashy “Flower Power” prints that remind me of the 60’s and 70’s.  Sorry, guys – but that was 40-50 years ago!  If you weren’t born back then – they may be "NEW" to you - but I was there! To me – that "look" is NOT "modern" - it's OLD!!

And to prove that IT'S NOT JUST ME - 

Bonnie K. Hunter said in a recent post  -
Quiltville's Quips and Snips!! - Sunday – 7/10/11 – As Seen Around Sisters! -
(emphasis added by me)

...The past couple of years, the ladies from Gees Bend have been at the show, and I always love coming to see their wonky quilts. What really struck me as FUNNY ((not haha funny, but peculiar funny I guess)) Is how MODERN these look, but they are not, right? These are bare bones UTILITY quilts. Well, there was also an exhibit by the Portland Modern Quilt Guild. And I could swear…what they thought was modern, was just a re-do of the good old Gees Bend style utility quilt! But what I love about the utility quilts is the use of recycled fabric, anything, everything from corduroy to denim to poly to sheets to whatever....

No offense, Christina – but BOB and I totally agree!

==========

OK - your turn.


Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -

4 comments:

Sue said...

No, I don't like other blogger's music. I usually keep my speakers turned off when I look @ blogs cuz I find the music annoying....When I forget and have it blasting out at me, I usually have to pick myself up off the floor, I've had such a fright! lol I like it even less then! Modern quilting = arrogance, smarminess, I'm better than you attitude, over-the-top self-importance and last but not least...gulliblity.....

Katie M. said...

#1 - No, I don't care to listen to another bloggers music - I keep my speakers off, so wouldn't hear it anyway :-)
#2 - "Modern Quilts" - I think it's a excuse to not match points, to cut odd angles, etc... which really is okay with me. I think it's a blend of 'traditional' quilts and 'art' quilts. Quilting is a form of self expression and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I have passed over quilts that have 'ribboned' in a quilt show and wondered "how?", and yet have stopped and really examined a quilt that others pass by.

Rose said...

Other blogger's music is one of my pet peeves. I get royally pissed when I have to scramble around to turn the volumn down because THEIR choice of music is coming through my speakers. I stay away from the bloggers that I know have music.

Modern quilts don't really do anything for me. I don't see the attraction. I'm trying my very best to have my points match and my blocks square, so why would I want to do otherwise? I think the quilters that whip out a quilt every other day are the ones that like modern.

Katie said...

I'm only going to answer #1 because that was MY blog with the Baby Elephant Walk. And you probably missed it, but the first two days or so after I posted the quilt, the music came on automatically. Since it's an annoying little tune (after you've heard it a few dozen times), I reset it to just come on when you click on it after that.

So, to answer #1, I don't mind other blogger's music, so long as I can figure out a way to shut it off quickly (I know, I know, my player is at the bottom) if I choose AND it doesn't slow the page loading W-A-A-A-A-Y down. I've found some really great stuff that way, but I'll listen to just about anything, so maybe it's just me. :)

#2...not gonna touch that one! Quilt what you want to quilt and I'll leave the labels for someone else. (Or label them silently to myself in my head...)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...