Monday, July 25, 2011

Design Wall Monday - 7/25/11

Design Wall Monday - 7/25/11

LEFT-HANDED QUILTING - Working with Fabric "Tubes"

============
Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.
If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions.
============

So - I actually DID get to sew this weekend – YAY for me!!

And I played with Bonnie Hunter's pattern - Scrappy Trip Around the World


Yeah - I know - ANOTHER UFO - but - I DON'T CARE!!

I wanted to do something SCRAPPY - and - my 2" bin was just sitting there - 

all lonely and everything - and - I just couldn't help it!

And - 


HEY - LOOKY WHAT I FOUND! - 

MY 1/4" SEAM ALLOWANCE!!

These are 2” strips – so they sew down to 1-1/2” – and two of them make 3” – right?


See how that light one and the blue polka dot one make 3”??  YAY!!



I knew I left it somewhere!
It was hiding in my scrap bin all of this time!
Didn't think to look THERE!  ;))


Two cool things I discovered - or remembered - when I made these blocks -

1 - CUTTING TRICK -

I’m cutting 2” segments -
So I lined up my "tube" with an even number on my cutting mat – #20
And straightened the LEFT edge



Then I slid the ruler over 2” to the right – to #18
And cut off the first segment



And a couple more - #16 and #14


And there’s all six
Didn’t have to lift the ruler once!
Just kept sliding it over 2 inches to the RIGHT each time -



===

But then I messed up –
See anything wrong with this picture?



Oops!! – REDO!!
Better – MUCH better!



There – one block down!


On to the next one –
I tried to figure out a way to NOT mess up like I did on the last one -
So – I laid them all out BEFORE I “unstitched” them -



WAY EASIER!
They all came out just right –



BUT –
I didn’t like the fabric going down the DIAGONAL in the middle – the MAIN DIAGONAL -
OH CRAP!


2 - TUBE TRICK -

WHAT IF??
I moved the FIRST strip on the LEFT -
To be the LAST strip on the RIGHT?



And again – a couple of more times?







And then right back to where we started -


SO - I CAN CHOOSE WHICHEVER ONE I WANT TO BE THE MAIN DIAGONAL!

I kinda like the pink in the middle -


===

So this is what I made – so far


I KNOW!!

It’s NOT MUCH!!

But – I did spend most of Friday reading blogs – (I KNEW I would!) -
And most of Saturday sorting my strips - so – gimme a break!

I still have some strips left –
So – I can make some more -



‘CUZ –

I LOVE TO SEW!!

AND - 


I REALLY SHOULD DO IT MORE OFTEN!!



Talk to you later – gotta go – GOTTA SEW –

2 comments:

Judee said...

Looks like you are having a lot of fun with those strips. Can't wait to see the final result.

Rose said...

I like the pink in the middle also.
Great way to use up strips.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...