Monday, July 11, 2011

Design Wall Monday - 7/11/11

Design Wall Monday – 7/11/11

So this is what is on my design wall today -

Well, kinda/sorta on the wall - (not REALLY on the wall) - yet -

Remember this one??



Yeah – I took some time off to catch up on some other non-quilty things –
And to work on a scrappy project that I will show you later –
But for now - I’m back to this one - AGAIN -

Last time – I said that I needed 32 of these guys –


Step one – sew a brown to the right of the green
Line some up


Stitch one - press it – see if it works


Looks good -
green – right side up
brown on top – right side down
just like so


Then – because
I need a visual aid to keep things straight in my Swiss-cheese brain –
And - I only want to invent the wheel ONCE
And - I don’t want to have to think through the steps EVERY time -
I make one of each


But – even then – I have to PAY ATTENTION!!

Do you see the problem here??

Gotta stitch the “correct” seam, Kitty – the TOP one!! (top seam in the LEFT photo) -
not the OTHER one!! (bottom seam in the RIGHT photo)


So – got it – moving right along -


Got the 32 “middles” done –
And 16 black ends -
And 16 green ends


OK – need some with the green on the left
And some with the green on the right


Let’s try one of these


And one of the other


On the back – you can see the seams go vertically on one set and horizontally on the other – interesting, huh?


Now - if I lay them out –
With the yellow ruler on the left - at the 10-1/2” mark
(they're supposed to be 10-1/2" wide)


Notice anything STRANGE??

Those suckers are both 1/4" short  - AGAIN!!!

Say it with me, gang - OH CRAP!!

Where the he!! did my 1/4" go THIS time??

It can't be the cutting – they were Foundation Paper Pieced!!

It HAS to be the seam allowance!!

I KNEW IT!!

DO OVER!!  DO OVER!!

GOT IT!!


Now for the other one -

DO THAT ONE OVER, TOO!!

PERFECT!!


ONE MORE THING TO DO - 

WRITE IT DOWN!!

ALL OF THE SETTINGS –

NEEDLE SIZE –
FOOT -
STITCH # –
STITCH LENGTH –
STITCH WIDTH -
THREAD –
TENSION –
PRESSURE –

EVERYTHING!!

FOR NEXT TIME!!

I AM SOOOOOOOOOO TIRED OF LOSING AND THEN HAVING TO FIND THAT DAMN 1/4" - NEED TO PUT A BELL ON IT OR SOMETHING!!


Talk to you later – gotta go – gotta sew –


3 comments:

Katie M. said...

Nice!!!! Now I have a question - do you leave the paper on when assembling all the units? And if so, how can your 1/4" seam be off? Just curious (so it doesn't happen to me ;-) )

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Katie M. -

Thanks! I kinda like it myself! ;))

Yes - I left the paper on when I sewed the units together - thinking the same as you - how can the 1/4" be off if I leave the paper on?

Then I saw that I was sewing just to the LEFT of the line - I needed to be just to the RIGHT of the line for a "scant" 1/4" seam. (I wanted to just "kiss" the line on the RIGHT side.) My seam allowance was off by just enough to mess it up!

So I adjusted my stitch width settings - and when it finally "worked" - I took the paper off the whole unit. (I don't need the paper once the unit is the correct size.) And I WROTE DOWN the settings!
^..^

Frog Quilter said...

Too funny. Keep trying.

I'm a lefty too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...