Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A little prep work -


Usually saves me some headaches later - LOL - ;))

So today I opened a package of batting to let it "breathe" -


Sketched out how I want to split the one backing - 108" x 108" -
into two sections that should work for two tops -
that each measure 48-1/2" x 56-1/2" -


Opened the package of backing -

And was VERY pleasantly surprised -

They TORE the fabric instead of cutting it - YAY!!!!!!!!!! -

TEARING ensures a straight of grain edge -

And straight of grain works for me - LOL - ;))


And since this is my "journal" where I can find my stuff -
when I lose my notes -

I'm writing this down - LOL -

If I TEAR 44" off the top of the backing -
I would still have 64" left - lengthwise - for the tops -
56-1/2" long + some extra "wiggle room" -
about 4" extra on the top -
and about 4" extra on the bottom -

Then if I TEAR the 64" (long) x 108" (wide) piece down the middle -
I'd have two sections - 64" long x 54" wide -
Then tear off the selvages on each side -
The tops are 48-1/2" so I won't have as much "wiggle room" - width-wise -
but 54" wide would give me 2-3" on each side - and that should be OK -
If it's a little tight - I can always add a lengthwise strip to bump it up -

And like I said -

TEARING ensures a straight of grain edge -

Plus - it's a whole lot easier than trying to cut LONG sections -

Hoping that they come out STRAIGHT - LOL - ;))

So - tomorrow - after my chores -

Maybe I can get one of them layered and basted -

At least that's the plan - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go- gotta sew -



2 comments:

Gene Black said...

When I have bought fabric in Mexico, they almost always tear it. I wish all retailers and online vendors would do that . I have lost inches sorting out some of the wonky cuts.

Barb said...

Huh....you lost me when you mentioned measurements...ha ha..... glad you have it all worked out and that the fabric was torn instead of cut.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...