Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Testing -


Takes me some time -

But I'm usually in no rush -

And it almost always turns out to be time well spent - ;))

I really wanted to take advantage of the trimming that my friend did when she quilted my Floral Applique - and wasn't looking forward to trimming it down even just a "little" - she had already trimmed it a little "large" to allow me a "fully stuffed binding" - so why do it again and risk messing it up? - LOL -

So - knowing that my "normal" width binding would be a "little" too narrow -

I played with various settings to see what my options were -

First I stitched a "baseline" between her stay-stitching and the trimmed edge -
Lining up her stay-stitching under the left guide of my walking foot -
And using the longest stitch possible on this machine -
A big old "basting" stitch worked just fine -
And it would be "inside" the binding anyway -
So it didn't have to be "pretty" - LOL -


Then I used the "baseline" to line up my binding -
Instead of the edge of the quilt -
So that gave me a "little" extra binding width to roll to the front -

Then I tried various settings on my walking foot -
Still using the "basting" stitch for my testing -
Since it's easy to pull out the stitches if I don't like the results -

Far left -


Not bad - a nice seam allowance -
But it didn't leave enough to fold over -


So - I tried the middle setting -
Which is about 3/8" from the right edge of the walking foot -
And my "normal" setting for stitching down binding -
Same result - not that much to fold over -


And then the far right one -
Which is about 1/4" from the right edge of the walking foot -
It may look too skinny -
But it's not any narrower than the seam we use for piecing -
So I'm OK with that - LOL -

But I was worried - would this line of stitching cover the stay-stitching? -


YES - this last one covered the stay-stitching line on the back -


AND folded nicely to the front -
To give me a "fully stuffed binding" -

Bingo!! - LOL -


By the time I figured out my settings -

I only had enough mojo to stitch the binding down the first side of the back -

So - tomorrow - after my "chores" -

I plan to stitch some more -

And we'll see how far I get - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Sue said...

One of the things I enjoy about reading your blog, is you take your time and don't get your knickers in A twist over it!

Cindy Quilts said...

That's going to be very pretty!

Gene Black said...

Yes, taking time and testing is a tried and true method. I just wish that I weren't so impetuous at times.

Barbara said...

Looking good! I can understand running out of steam. ;)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Taking your time will make sure the quilt will be finished well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...