Sunday, February 16, 2020

Red Binding -


Thank you all for the kind comments on my binding yesterday -

It looks like everybody likes the RED! - ;))

Just so you know -

The separate joining of the RED and the GRAY is/was NOT my idea -

I learned it watching a YouTube video by Jordan Fabrics - HERE - ;))

I posted about my favorite binding methods - HERE -

And Jordan Fabrics has several videos with great techniques - HERE -

My favorite, of course, is the Flanged Binding - HERE -

And I LOVE the separate joining of the two strips -

It takes a bit more time -

But it is TOTALLY worth it -

It is the FLATTEST join EVER!! -

And I HIGHLY recommend it - LOL - ;))

So - after I stared at and petted my quilt most of the morning -

I had a friend over for lunch -

She bought lunch as a bribe -

Because she wanted to ask me if I would "fix" her heating pad -

It has three pockets filled with rice -

That she can put in the microwave to heat up -



As you can see - it was a bit frayed in spots -

So - rather than try to "mend" it -

We decided to just "recover" it -

And after she left -

I found some fabric that is PERFECT for those of us who are "of a certain age" -


It's a 1/4 yard piece - folded over -

And the size was PERFECT!! -


If you can't read it -

It says -

The Saturday Evening Post and Norman Rockwell -
© Licensed by Curtis Publishing -


It stitched up pretty quickly -

I just folded the fabric right sides together and stitched down the long edges - turned it inside out - slipped the old heating pad down inside - stitched across the two "flat" sections - like on the original - tucked in the ends and stitched it closed - easy peasy - IF you know how to sew - which most of my friends don't - for some reason - LOL. And like my Dad used to say - "Anything is easy - if you know how!" - and I do - ;))


Here's a close-up of the fabric -

Norman Rockwell was great at painting children -


I hope she likes it - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Gene Black said...

Making a cover was the perfect solution. There is no good way to repair fabric that is that far gone.

I have been to watch the Jordan Fabrics video on the Flange binding - mostly to see the join. It is quite a good trick to know.

Rebecca said...

I think I have a piece of that fabric stashed away for the windows and doors of a house quilt...

Sue said...

Rhe heat pad looks great. Thank you for the links. I'm going to check out the bumpless join

Cindy Quilts said...

I like Jordan Fabrics videos too. I'm sure your friend will love her 'new' heating pad.

Barb said...

Nice save....love the fabric you chose.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...