Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Batting -


Is cut for both Interweave quilts - ;))

I took a queen-size batt - 90" x 108" and unrolled it -

Seems like the unrolled length is the 90" part -

And I want it to be 64" -

So I cut off a chunk -

I still have to split it in half down the center -

That should give me two at 54" (108"/2) x 64" (already cut) -

But it's only batting -

So I didn't take a photo - LOL - ;))

By the time I finished my "chores" -

And measured and cut the batting -

I was getting tired -

So I didn't "tear" the backing -

YET -

It was all folded nicely in the package from the quilt shop -

So I took it out of the package and measured and counted the folds -

Then decided where I wanted to "tear" it -

But I don't trust my MATH when I'm tired -

So I put a paperclip in the edge -

At the point where I think I SHOULD "tear" it -

And will re-calculate it again tomorrow - ;))


The backing is 108" x 108" -

So I want to do the same thing that I did with the batting -

Cut off a chunk -

And split it down the middle -

To get one piece for each of the two tops - ;))

I also realized that I should tear it length-wise -

So the selvage will be at the top or bottom of the backing -

Since the jelly roll strips are cut that way -

The selvage ends of the strips are at the top and bottom of the quilt -

And I thought it would work out better -

If the length-wise and width-wise grain of the top AND back -

All run the SAME way - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



2 comments:

Gene Black said...

I always tear selvedge to selvedge. If I am going across the grain I cut it because going across the grain doesn't always tear straight.

I always try to maximize the batting rolls too.

Sue said...

Do you sew your batting scraps together? I have a bag of Frankenbatting, which comes in handy for small projects such as wall hangings.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...