Sunday, February 2, 2020

Backings -


Are not my favorite things to make -

And I think most of my readers already know that - LOL - ;))

Sometimes I trick myself into pretending that they are just another top -

And I combine an assortment of FQ and odd bits and pieces -

And that gets me by -

But then one day there was this BIG SALE - LOL -

And I bought some 3-yd packs of 108" x 108" backing fabric - ;))

The first one was for my Imperial Bargello -

A pretty BLACK print -

I figured that the pack would give me enough fabric for the backing and some side borders if it needed to be a little wider - after I finish cutting and sewing the remaining panel to the part I have sewn already -


The second was a DARK GREEN -

That I thought would work with the Victoria and Albert Interweave -


The third is the same fabric in a DARK BROWN for the Dear William Interweave -


But then I thought that I could use the DARK GREEN for both Interweave quilts -

And save the DARK BROWN for something special -


My LHQSQ - Left-Handed Quilter's Sampler Quilt - HERE -

For those of you who don't know - or don't remember -

Once upon a time -

I made 99 9-patch Sampler blocks - just because I could - LOL -
98 are on the front -
One is saved for the back -

It's HUGE - 104" x 104" -
And is up on the design wall in the hallway -
With the bottom section pinned up so it doesn't hit the floor -


Here's the left side -


And the right side -


The backing is 108" x 108" and that's only 4" larger than the top -

So I'll have to add a strip both length-wise and width-wise to have enough "extra" around the sides -

But I'd have to do that anyway to add in that 99th block on the back - LOL -

So now I think I have what I need to make FOUR backings -

And playing with them might even be FUN - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Sue said...

Your sampler is gorgeous! Love the green. Seeing backs isn't my favorite thing to do, either.

Gene Black said...

Good luck with those backings. Sometimes deciding on a backing is more difficult than sewing the top.

Katie said...

Backs are one of those derailing muar-do chores that I try to squeeze in at the end or beginning of a sewing session. But I hate the long seams and bulk of sewing tops together too (no matter your method, it gets bulky and seams get longer toward the end), yet I'm not quite ready to send a pile of blocks off to someone else either... I like the green with the Interweave quilts better than the brown. But since it will be on the back, it doesn't have to match, it only needs to make YOU happy!

Katie said...

How did I type "muar"? Obviously I meant "must." (Stupid phone...)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...