Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Squirrel's Batik Sibling - First top is done -


Ta Dah!! - ;))



The sashing does a pretty good job of separating all of the busy-ness -


And even makes the super-busy "ugly" one look pretty - ;))


===

Now I should probably clarify some things that I said yesterday -

Since I got a couple of comments about my 1/4" setting -

First - Frog Quilter - said -
What kind of machine do you have? I have never heard of a machine that the needle wasn't in the middle position as a default. Love the hint for excess fabric and sewing the sashing on. I usually place a finger nail line where it should be... Happy sewing.
I replied -
I have 5 machines - but the ones I use for piecing are a Brother SQ9185 and a Brother SQ9050 - both are about $200 each at Walmart.

The middle position default is factory set at 3.5 - and IS in the middle of the "regular" foot.
The problem is that the factory set 1/4" is NOT a SCANT 1/4" - it's right ON the line.
I need it to be one click to the right of the sewing line for a SCANT 1/4".

The 1/4" foot IS the SCANT 1/4" - IF the needle is centered in it at 4.0.
I like the 1/4" foot because it's got the little groove in the middle so I can see where I'm going and whether or not I'm going to hit any "cross seams" like the tip of a Flying Geese unit.

If I'm sewing crumb blocks or paper piecing - I may use the "regular" foot and not worry about it - but if I'm piecing something that needs 1/4" then I'll use the 1/4" foot. My ruler is really accurate IF I use the scant 1/4" seam - so that's why I changed it. My HST and Flying Geese weren't coming out as good as they should and I knew it wasn't the cutting - it had to be the seam allowance - and it was - ;))
===

Second - Gene - said -
Hmmm.... My needle is not in the center of my 1/4" foot either, but it goes in the hole so I just leave it alone so my seams are consistent.
I replied saying pretty much the same thing - but not exactly -
Yeah - I know - but - I was using my ruler - and my ruler is really accurate IF I use the scant 1/4" seam - so that's why I changed it. My HST and Flying Geese weren't coming out as good as they should and I knew it wasn't the cutting - it had to be the seam allowance - and it was - ;))

If I'm sewing crumb blocks or paper piecing - I may use the "regular" foot and not worry about it - but if I'm piecing something that needs 1/4" then I'll use the 1/4" foot. I like the 1/4" foot because it's got the little groove in the middle so I can see where I'm going and whether or not I'm going to hit any "cross seams" like the tip of a Flying Geese unit. But even at that - it won't hit the mark unless the needle is centered in it at 4.0. Sometimes it matters - sometimes it doesn't - ;))
===

And in this case - it mattered -

Mostly because I was using my Left-Eze Rule -

And having the SCANT 1/4" exactly right saved me a TON of time -

In NOT having to trim all of my HST and Flying Geese units -

All I had to do was clip off the dog ears as I went along -

And anyone who has made this particular block knows just how much time one of these puppies takes to complete - with 81 pieces - and most of them becoming HST and Flying Geese units -

So saving all of that "trim" time was nice - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Perfect! That sashing sets them all off nicely and keeps them from fighting for attention.

Gene Black said...

The sashing does set them apart nicely.

Katie said...

I do love the sashing. I'll admit (now) I was a little wary of the pinkness of it, but trusted that seeing it in person was making the difference I couldn't get. Seems that was the case. And yes, that block has a lot of pieces. Not one I plan to make again any time soon!

Sherry said...

The top looks great! Sashing was the perfect choice.

Jeanna said...

It came together very nicely. I like the sashing the cornerstones.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...