Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Squirrel's Batik Sibling - Sashing - Part 5 -


Some of you already know that I like to "sash" my blocks as I go along -

If I'm going to "sash" them at all -

Rather than treat them as separate rows like some do -

I have explained my "process" in great detail in the tutorials that I did for my Sudoku Quilts - check out the page/tab at the top of my blog for the links -

Anyway - the right side and bottom sashing and cornerstones are sewn on all of the blocks of the first quilt top -


And I have found - through the years - that sashing is a great "equalizer" - if your blocks are not EXACTLY the same size - and the sashing is cut the CORRECT size - it makes it easier to get any "slightly off" blocks to match each other -

Why are mine "slightly off"? -

Well - I realized part-way through making my blocks that my 1/4" inch seam was off "one click" and - without thinking - changed it to what it was "supposed to be". And that "one click" for each seam on a block with a LOT of seams - adds up quickly -

If I had left it alone - all of my seams would have been the same - but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - I had to "fix it" as soon as I saw it - LOL - ;))

Anyway - to REMIND me of the correct setting - I put a sticker with a HUGE #4 on it - where I would be sure to see it BEFORE I started stitching. There is no point in using my seam guides and the 1/4" inch foot if the needle isn't in the CENTER of the stinkin' foot - ;))


This is the normal Center needle position (at 3.5) when I turn on my machine. It may not look like it - but it is "one click" too far to the left - and is NOT in the center of the 1/4" foot - and YES - I did try to adjust the "automatic/start" setting - but it only has two options - and this isn't one of them - LOL - ;))


THIS is the Center of the foot - and the needle position is 4.0 - so the label is to remind me to change the setting BEFORE I start sewing - I think I already said that -

If I'm sewing Crumb blocks - or some other stuff - it isn't as critical - but if I'm using that 1/4" inch foot - I need something to remind me to change the dang thing - because BOB is not very good at remembering to tell me these days - ;))


As far as sashing goes - I have my way of making sure the seams line up from block to block -


I press the sashing at the seam lines - so I have something to line up with the "real" seam lines -

And how do I find out where to put the press mark in the middle of the rectangle that needs to match a seam line on the next block? -


I fold over the end with the cornerstone - match it to the next seam - and press it in the middle - to give me the center guideline that I need -


Sashing is also handy to hide any needed "tucks" -

I usually try to get them as close to a seam line as possible -

As opposed to in the middle of a section where it is painfully obvious that there IS a tuck -


That way - the "fold" can be quilted over as if it were the "true" seam line -

And no one knows there's a tiny fold there but you and me - LOL - ;))


I have the second and third rows sewn -

But not to each other yet -

I still have the top row to do -

Then the two long seams -

So maybe tomorrow - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

What kind of machine do you have? I have never heard of a machine that the needle wasn't in the middle position as a default. Love the hint for excess fabric and sewing the sashing on. I usually place a finger nail line where it should be... Happy sewing.

Katie said...

I told you Swoon goes down kicking and screaming!! I had more issues with block construction, as the washings went on without trouble, but I also didn't move my needle (one perk of a $90 machine from WalMart!). I'm anxiously awaiting the top reveals!

Barb said...

What an interesting post today, I enjoyed learning about your process and how you might hide a slight misgiving.

Gene Black said...

Hmmm.... My needle is not in the center of my 1/4" foot either, but it goes in the hole so I just leave it alone so my seams are consistent.

Jeanna said...

I have often forgotten to adjsut the needle position when using my quarter inch foot. The note is a good reminder.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...