Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Sorting -


After I finished some chores -

Was very relaxing -

I LIKE petting my fabric - LOL -

And I was able to sort the 5" squares and match them to the paired strips - ;))


One square was folded when it was originally cut -

But it should be OK if I press it before I cut it -


And there were a couple that look a little crooked -

But they should be OK if I trim the one side first -





Then there were these two -

The top one isn't the same size as the bottom one -


And they are both crooked -


The bottoms look OK -


But the top left corner is "short" -


And the top right corner is "over" -


But I think it will be OK -

The pattern calls for some 2-1/2" squares to be cut from the strips -

And I was going to substitute 4 of the needed squares from the 5" squares instead -

So I'll have longer strips left for the "ends" -

Which should make for a longer quilt - ;))

The pattern only uses 36 of the 40 cut "border" strips - so 4 are not used -

TWO of the four can be the ones I need to compensate for the wonky 5" squares -

I'll try to cut as many 2-1/2" squares from the 5" squares as I can - and then cut the rest of the squares from the part of the strip that will be an "unused" border piece -

Does that make sense? - ;))

My version should result in a longer quilt - but not wider -

But it should be easy enough to add an extra border or two to the left and right sides when I get to that point and can see if I want/need to make it wider -

At least that's the plan - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

On one of my earlier quilts, I ended up with one block that was not the exact same size as the others, I dithered a bit but decided to try it anyway. Actually, it was a LOT farther off than the one your picture shows. Well, that is when I learned a lesson ... "fabric is forgiving". I sewed that block in place, easing it's neighbors, and even today, many many years of use later, it would be impossible to figure out which was that block. Maybe things ease in better when sewed by hand so thin rule would not work for you. My black and white blocks are piling up and I no longer check the size as they are all marked with the same template.

Katie said...

It amuses me to read your posts like this. These are the conversations I have with myself (and my calculator and my quilty notebook) because, as you've seen, I can't just follow a pattern (usually). I think your blocks will be just fine and look forward to the progress in sewing where we all get to see how it comes together - you included!

Gene Black said...

One teacher showed a technique and said "fabric stretches" implying that we can use that to our advantage. I know that I have a few times. And as Judy said, easing in will solve a few minor "not exactly the same size" issues.

Jeanna said...

Yes, your plan makes sense to me. I'm sure you will make it work.

Barb said...

Good luck, I love Gene's comment and I too have stretched things to match...hummmm (shhh..don't tell)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...