Thursday, September 10, 2020

Progress -


Another set of blocks is sewn -

For my Upstairs/Downstairs - Gleaned - top -
Gleaned - © Carolyn Friedlander - Robert Kaufman -


This set has another one of those strips that fades out at the end -

So I stuck those two patches at the end of two of the blocks -


These colors play well together -

Hopefully they will play well with the rest of their friends - LOL - ;))


Then I decided to go through all of my pencils and markers -

And tossed the ones that were old - didn't work - dried up - etc. -



Later in the afternoon -

The FedEx guy brought me the tube of light gold paint that I ordered -

I didn't realize the tubes were so tiny!! -

Here it is sitting on top of a 3" x 5" index card -

Somehow I expected it to be the size of a travel-size toothpaste tube -

Not the giant tube of toothpaste - but at least the travel-size one -

Silly me - LOL - ;))


Then it was time for dinner -

And I had left overs from making the sushi last night -

But I was too lazy to bother with the nori (seaweed) -

And didn't want to spend the time to roll it -


So I made what I call "Lazy Sushi" -

It's got everything but the nori -

The sushi rice - imitation crab - cucumber - avocado -

All in a nice big bowl -

And boy - was it YUMMY!! -

Without all of the work - LOL - ;))


Then after dinner -

I "un-sewed" another set of strata segments -

Pressed them all nice and neat -

And put them on a cookie sheet - ready for the next step -


After I wrote up most of this post and scheduled it for the morning -

I played with my watercolors again -

I wanted to see if I could make those "Easy Flowers" - HERE -

Using my watercolor "pencils" instead of watercolor "paints" -

And I could -

They didn't come out half bad -


But they did come out a little "small" compared to the other two -


I tried to duplicate the paint colors as close as I could with the pencils -


The stems were much easier to draw with the pencil than the brush -

But I should have wet the paper first - then drawn the stem line -

That might have been a "cleaner" line -


This watercolor stuff is SO FUN!! -

I LOVE how I never quite know how it's going to come out -

I don't have the "precision" of an "artist" who paints with acrylics -

I have a tough time drawing a straight line with a ruler - LOL -

So this suits me just fine!! - ;))

I have learned to do one flower quickly -

Stop - and let the water do its thing as it dries -

Go on to the next flower -

And then the next -

Resisting the temptation to mess with them -

To basically "LEAF them alone" - LOL -

Do the stems -

Add the detail -

And it's done -

Twenty to thirty minutes - max -

MUCH faster than making a quilt - LOL - ;))

And now that I have the light gold paint tube -

Tomorrow I can play with adding the light gold "accent" dots to all three -

It should be fun to see what they look like then - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Sounds like you are really enjoying this process of painting. So glad for you and the results are beautiful.

Barbara said...

I agree with Frog Quilter, absolutely beautiful watercolor results! I want to try my pencils again too, but not on flowers. I’ll probably lean toward another landscape. Now that is my kind of sushi, minus anything that tastes like seaweed! 😝 Your SMALL tube of paint reminds me of times that unexpected sizes of something were delivered. I finally had to start carefully checking size before ordering things, but it took awhile to “get” that. Your quilt is really grabbing me! I admit I wasn’t sure of the fabrics in the beginning, but you have a talent for getting the most out of layout! I’m starting to love it, especially the purple!

Gene Black said...

I have to laugh at your dismay at the size of those tubes. If I had not seen them before I bought the first ones, I would have been horrified. When you squeeze it out, put it on something (ceramic/glass/non absorbent) that you can keep it on. You will be able to reactivate it with water after it dries.

I can't imagine getting this type of flower with the pencils....I am fighting them at this point. LOL. I did a tulip, but it looks nothing like the example. I need to start at the front of the book and work through it.

Sue said...

Yum @ your sushi bowl. Your flowers are all lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...