Thursday, August 9, 2018

A puzzle and some strips -


First the puzzle -

Another one by CEACO - Americana - 500 piece - :))


During a break with my friend and the puzzle - I checked my email - and got one from another friend asking if I tore my strips wider than the desired width to allow for "de-stringing"?-

Good Question -

I replied - that I hadn't taken that into consideration - and the edges were/are a bit frayed. I was in the middle of "puzzle time" with my friend - so I hadn't measured them - but I was pretty sure they were short - but they were border strips - so I didn't care. I suggested tearing one strip - de-stringing it - measuring it - and adjusting accordingly. I wasn't going to worry about it much - but I was planning to sew my seam at 1/2" to account for the "fray".





After after my "puzzle" friend left - I went on to say that I had measured my strips - clipped them 5-1/2" apart - and tore at the "clip". The left side frayed at the clip - the right side frayed a couple of threads "inside" the clip so the strip is a couple threads short - but not a full 1/4" short.

And - I don't think the difference is enough to worry about with border strips - but if you are trying to fit it to something else - a pieced corner block, for example - and need more accuracy - you might want to cut them instead. I'm going to use mine "as-is" - with a 1/4" seam - they should be just fine. But then again - BOB says that I should move my needle to the left a couple of "clicks" just because - LOL - ;))

The "fray" is the same problem that I deal with on pre-cuts that have "pinked" edges. I hate that - just cut the dang things straight! There have been times when I have seen beautiful strip rolls and decided NOT to buy them - and chose another roll with "straight" cut edges instead. Then there is always the "warning" that because the edges are not "pinked" they will tend to fray - LOL - ;))

===

Then I went back to re-measure my strips - with a different ruler - and realized that they ARE 5-1/2" - and only a thread or two short at the most - so they're close enough for me. I took more photos - a little fray - but who cares - LOL - ;))




So - I repeat - if you're thinking of "tearing" instead of "cutting" -

Try tearing one strip - de-stringing it - measuring it - and adjusting accordingly.

If the "fray" doesn't bother you - use it "as-is" -

Or trim it - or move your needle to the left for a wider seam allowance -

Or do whatever you want/need to do to make it work for you!! - ;))

BOB says - if you do decide to "trim" it -

You might as well just "cut" it next time - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Looking at the blocks I am now sewing together, I notice that a number of them have been torn. Of course I mark them with pencil and sew by hand so either way works fine for me. I do find sometimes the fabric cut at the shop is quite off and needs to be re-trimmed ... if there is enough to spare.

Frog Quilter said...

Love that large flower fabric.

Gene Black said...

I will respectfully disagree with BOB's statement
"BOB says - if you do decide to "trim" it -You might as well just "cut" it next time"
For really long strips tearing them and then a light trim to get rid of the fuzzy's still results in an on grain strip where just cutting can have bobbles and "funny angles" if you aren't really careful folding the fabric.

I confess to being the friend who asked.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...