Saturday, August 18, 2018

I love to sew with my feet -


Is the title of a very cool book -


That I bought way back when - when I got my Husqvarna Lily 555 -
I love to sew with my feet -
Exploring your sewing machine presser feet -

(c) 2005 - Sewing Information Resources and VSM Sewing Inc.


The back cover says -
I love to sew with my feet -
Every sewing machine has numerous specialty presser feet and accessories that offer the sewer unlimited possibilities to expand their knowledge of sewing as well as their sewing machine. The creative opportunities are limitless just by using all these feet. We have attempted through this book and CD-ROM to broaden your view of sewing, enhance your sewing skills, and expose you to the many presser feet and accessories available.

When was the last time you used all of the presser feet that came with your sewing machine?  Do you even know what they're for?  I admit - I had to dig out the owner's manual for my sewing machine to refresh my memory on which foot to use for the "blind-hem" and how to do the "recommended" fold.

Here's a quick refresher on "the fold" - for those who may not know how to do it -

Like my Dad was fond of saying - "Anything is easy - if you know how." -

So - let me show you - it's easy - once you "get it" - LOL - ;))

I'm going to use this green scrap as a "demo" piece -


Press it up at the "hem fold line" -


Open it up -


Press the cut edge to the fold line - and then fold it again on the fold line -


For a "double-fold" hem - and press it -


And baste it - with a very long stitch that will be easy to remove later -
about 1/4" away from the top edge -


Now - if I was going to sew it by hand - I'd use an "invisible" stitch so that it wouldn't show on the "front" side -

The machine version of that is shown by the RED dashed lines -
the "V" is the bite of the "front" side that is caught when you sew the hem -


But we can't sew it like that because all of the stitches would show on the "front" -

So here's the trick -

We're going to sew it on the INSIDE of the top fold that we basted down -

So turn it upside-down -


And fold it back down on itself so you can expose the top edge that you basted -


Now - if we take it to the sewing machine and find the "blind-stitch" -
The one that goes stitch-stitch-stitch-V - then we're good to go -


Select the stitch and put on the "blind-hem" foot -


And stitch it down -




Press it open -




Then take out the basting stitches - and all you see is the "V" bite on the front - ;))

===

And - in case you're wondering -

I did get another couple of rows done on the Interweave Quilt -


And I cut the rest of the strip sets - so they're ready to sew - ;))




Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



2 comments:

Gene Black said...

A Ha! the basting bit is what I didn't know to do. I have seen how to fold the hem but then holding it in place while sewing was an issue. The basting does that holding for you. Ta Dah!

We are never too old to learn a new trick. This old dog just learned one.

Julie Fukuda said...

By the time I did all that, I could have got the thing hemmed with a blind stitch ... and I'm not even counting the time it would take to dig out the machine and get it running.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...