Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Speed bump -


There I was - moving right along -

Got the orange pair of pants hemmed -

And then the brown ones -


When I hit a speed bump -


The blue ones aren't "straight-leg" -

They're "tapered" -

So the hem won't lie flat when I do the double fold -


Nope - these aren't going to lie flat - at all - rats!! -


So - I "googled" "How To Hem Tapered Pants" -

And the sites that I visited made the process sound easy enough -
Taper the inseams and the side seams to compensate -

OK - I can do that -

But these are not just a "little" narrower -

These are a LOT narrower at the bottom than the top -



So - I'll have to figure out something else -

Probably double check the length -
And go for a MUCH narrower hem -
Maybe a double 1/2" or double 3/4" instead of a double 1-1/2" -

Maybe I could cut at that first fold line -
And re-fold the double fold there -
It's closer to the same width at that point -
And the hem would still be a double 3/4" -

That might work - I think - maybe - maybe not -

UGH!! -

Now I remember why I don't like to hem pants -

And if this lady wasn't someone VERY special -

I probably wouldn't be hemming these either - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Katie said...

Just spitballin' here, as I've never hemmed pants, but could you unsew the side stitching for what will be hidden in the part that's turned up? Tack it well just before it turns outside again, if course. If that makes any sense...

Gene Black said...

Funny. I don't hem pants as a rule. But as I was reading it, I had about the same idea as Katie.
Either that or ask if she would like them made into shorts. ;-)

Jeanna said...

No help from me, you KNOW I don't hem pants :) If anyone can figure it out though, it's you.

Sherry said...

If I had to hem pants I would permanently where skirts or dresses. LOL

Hope you find a simple solution.

Julie Fukuda said...

Been there. Done that. Got the merit badge. Just open those side seams

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...