Friday, August 17, 2018

Speed bump - solved -


With a little LOT of help from my friends -

Who suggested splitting the seams - and hiding the "difference" in the folded up hem -

And it worked!! - THANKS!! - ;))

Hemming "tapered" pants is definitely NOT in my comfort zone -

I used to sew my own clothes YEARS ago -

But I remember getting the whole thing done -

Whatever it was -

Including "setting-in" sleeves and inserting zippers -

And then setting it aside because it needed to be hemmed -

For some reason - I always disliked that last part -

Guess those were my first UFOs - LOL - ;))

Anyway - back to the blue pants -

I reinforced the "inseam" seam at the fold line - and took out the seam below it -
I figured I would hide whatever I did in the "inside" seam as opposed to the one that shows on the "outside" of the pants leg -


Folded it up -


And up again -


All the way around - then realized that the "seam" part was funky -
Those raw edges needed to be fixed -


So I unfolded everything - and folded in the raw edges and stitched them down -


And folded them back up - not perfect - but tidier than the first try -


I started pinning from the "outside" leg seam -


Up to the "inside" seam -


And started back at the "outside" seam again -
And pinned in the other direction -
Until I got to the "inside" seam -
You can see the "gap" -


Basted that down - at the top fold -


Pressed it - to see if it was going to lie flat - and it did - YAY!! -


The inside looks a little funky -


But you don't see it from the outside - so it works for me- LOL - ;)


Blind-stitched the hem - of the first leg -

And then took a break for dinner and wrote up yesterday's post -


Today - I did the other leg and took some additional photos to fill in the blanks in the ones I took yesterday -

When I sewed the "basting" line - I did it the "old-fashioned" way -

Before we had "free-arm" sewing machines - we would turn the pants leg right-side out - and sew from the inside of the "tube" - like so -


I started at one side of the "gap" - and stitched around to the other end -




My sewing machine (Brother SQ9185) has a "blind-hem" stitch and a special "blind-hem" foot -

So I folded the basted hem the "recommended" way and used the metal bar in the middle to follow along the basted fold -


There's a "gap" in the stitching -


But it's not that noticeable from the "Right" side - and it's at the "inside" seam -
so no one is going to see it anyway -


All nice and pressed - and flat -


Take out the basting stitches -


And it's not perfect - but it's DONE!! - LOL - ;))


These are the trimmings from some of the pants that I hemmed. It's amazing to me the different lengths the various manufacturers make their pants. There was NO way I could just take an inch or two off the bottom since the "bottom" was different on all of them -


MEASURING TIP - When she first brought over the pants she wanted me to hem - I asked her to also bring a pair of pants that fit her - lengthwise. I measured the INSEAM on that pair - and used that as my guide. I turned each pair of pants inside-out and measured the INSEAM of each leg - individually - and drew a chalk line at the "bottom fold" line. Then I measured 3" down from that and drew the "cut" line. After cutting - that allowed me a double-fold 1-1/2" hem. I folded the cut edge up to the "bottom fold" chalk line and pressed it - then folded it again on the "bottom fold" chalk line - to enclose the cut edge. And it seemed to work - she said they all fit just fine - ;))

The Interweave Quilt also got another four rows sewn yesterday -


Today I want to play with the Interweave Quilt some more -

While I think about what I want to do with all of those yummy triangles that Frog Quilter so graciously sent me - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



2 comments:

Gene Black said...

I think that is the foot that I use to do edge stitching. LOL - I had no idea it was a blind hem foot.
Great job on getting those pants hemmed.

Katie said...

Yay done!!! Womens pants are terrible with varying inseam. They also assume if you're skinny, you're short and if your a bigger size, you're tall. Why is it that I had to make it to a size 7 to get pants long enough when I've been the same height since I was a size zero? Ack!!!!! (The only perk, aside from being accused of being anorexic (ahem...you've seen me eat, I think you mean bulemic), that I can figure out!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...