Friday, August 31, 2018

The first two sections -


On my Interweave Quilt II have been sewn - ;))

Slowly but surely -

The second section is ready to be sewn to the first section -

I'll wait until the entire center is sewn before I press the whole thing -



And then come these four - ;))


We all know to press the seams in alternating directions - one row up and the next row down - so that the seams "nest" properly -

But since every other row is pressed "up" - that row will be on the bottom at some point -

And when the "up" row is on the bottom - I have to "flip" all of the seams -

Which is hard to do when it gets big and bulky -

SO I do it MY WAY - ;))

It's easier for me to "flip" the seams when I'm sewing the "twosies" -

So when I press a pair of rows - I press the seams on the LEFT one UP -

And the seams on the RIGHT one DOWN -


So that they alternate like they should -


Then I flip the LEFT one in each pair right side up -


And put the RIGHT one on top of the LEFT one - ;))

The top row has the seams going DOWN -

And the bottom row has the seams going UP - ;))


It may sound counter-intuitive to start with the "flippy" row on the bottom -

But if I do it that way with the "twosies" - I get it over with -

The one on the RIGHT will be the one on the bottom for the next set - and the one after that - and the one after that -

ALL of the rest of the seams on the bottom rows will be going DOWN -


So I don't have to mess with "flipping" any more seams - ;))



Like I said - I get it over with -

So then all I have to worry about is matching the seams - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Getting those seams to obey properly was one of my most frustrating problems with machine piecing. I/d get them all pressed the way I wanted and then the machine would grab and flip one. Even when I get everything lying properly in the final version, there are flips that happen in making the sandwich. Makes me want to baste the seams, I get so frustrated. Sometimes I can use my quilting needle to make them behave, but not always.

Karen M said...

You have a good process for getting those seams to nest. I am enjoying watching your progress on the interweave project.

Gene Black said...

Even though there is no need to nest seams on my coins quilt, I have been rather strict about having all the seams going the same way. It certainly helps with pressing once they are joined.

Jeanna said...

Sounds like it is Flipping Friday (sorry). Getting those seams going in the right direction is most important.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...