Thursday, August 16, 2018

Playtime -


After another visit to the dentist - to remove the stitches and get the impression for the crown that will go on the tooth that had the root canal. Silly me - I thought we did the "impression" last time - and that I was going to get the "permanent" crown today - but nooooooooooooo - I got another "temporary" crown and next time I get the permanent one - oh, goody - ANOTHER visit to the dentist - my fave - LOL - ;))

The friend who took me to the dentist is the lady who asked me to hem her work pants. We were in a hurry after my appointment because she had somewhere else to be - so she took all of the pants home to try on - and said she would bring the blue ones back later in the afternoon -

So when I came home from the dentist - and with no blue pants to hem - LOL -
I decided to play with the scraps that Frog Quilter sent me - HERE -


This was waaaaaaaaaaaay more fun than hemming pants - LOL - ;))


The bag was filled with triangles - some in mirror image sets -
Perfect for Flying Geese "wings" -


Some were a little short of the 3" line -


But can be trimmed to the 2-1/2" line -


And then there was this pile -


Quarter-square triangles -
And I can tell because the "ravelly" edge is the long diagonal side -


And these were HST AND QST -
My first clue was the direction of the print -
And after I checked which edge "frayed" - I knew which was which -


These guys were "die-cut" - both dog ears are gone -
And they are perfect 3" - unfinished HST -
Which will finish at 2-1/2" -
But I consider the "finished" size irrelevant when I'm sewing -


I'm interested in the STRIP SIZE I need to get a unit to MATCH the one I HAVE -

The lines on the LEFT-EZE™ Rule correspond to the SIZE of the STRIP that you need to cut the unit - If the STRIP is 3" - it will line up with the 3" line -

So if I want to make some more HST to match these -
I know at a glance that I can use 3" strips -
No fussing with "finished" size or "sewn" size or any other size -
The only SIZE I want/need to know is the STRIP SIZE - LOL - ;))

So - after playing for a while - I got them all sorted -


And then I played with some more rows on the Interweave Quilt - and got four more done right about the time my friend brought back the blue pair of pants to be hemmed -

With a LOT of help from you guys - I finally figured out how to "make it work" - and I'll share it with you tomorrow - because I did a "test" on one leg - and it seemed to work - but this post is already long enough -

So - tomorrow I'll do the other leg and show you how it worked out -

After I take some photos to share - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Glad you are enjoying the bits I sent you.

Gene Black said...

Hmm, Frogquilter sent a much neater bag of scraps than I would send. LOL.
Thanks for the tips about the "ravelly edges." I usually do the stretch test but sometimes with scrap pieces it can be uncertain or distort the pieces.

Jeanna said...

Like Gene, I appreciate the 'ravelly edge' tip. The stretch has not always worked for me. Depending on the quality of the fabric, I've found I can stretch one way just as much as the other...or, maybe it's just me. LOL

Julie Fukuda said...

I have a tin of half-square and quarter-square triangles. (all scraps) and when I can't get the lid closed, I will trim them to size and find a plan. (or maybe I will see something that inspires me to open the tin and add more...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...