Wednesday, August 8, 2018

RED Squirrel - again -


I always thought "tearing" was an OLD technique -

That no one uses anymore -

It's OLD - so it must be useless - LOL - ;))

Back in the "olden days" we did it all of the time -

It's usually VERY accurate for long lengths -

Much more accurate than "cutting" - ;))

So - I checked the instructions and it DOES say to CUT the borders -

But I already knew that the insert strip tore "cleanly" -

So I decided to tear the border strips, too - ;))

Of course - after tearing -

I knew that I would need to "de-thread" and press the raw edges -

But I also knew that the "edges" would be straight and true - ;))

You guys would have laughed - I went to look for the piece left over from the insert strip and couldn't find it. It wasn't in the plastic bin with the instructions and the left over piece from the "strata" and the baggie with the 3/4 yd needed for the binding. It wasn't hanging on the back of the chair - where the "overflow" lives. I couldn't FIND it!! And then I lifted the quilt top that was on the desk - ready to put it all away until I "found what I was looking for" - LOL - and there it was - all safe and sound UNDER the top - ;))

So I gave the top a good press -

Sorry it looks a little blurry here -

But it's pressed nicely - LOL -


And I tore the border strips -

Here they are de-threaded - pressed - and labeled -

And ready to go - ;))


Tomorrow is another "jigsaw puzzle" day -

So I'll have to wait until Thursday -

To square up the top -

Stay-stitch the sides and ends -

And then add the borders - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Gene Black said...

I frequently tear an edge to find the grain line in fabric. (Are you saying I am "Old" ???)

The borders are looking good. I guess we will have to wait until the quilt is finished to see the glamour shot.

Funny how stuff hides when you are quilting, isn't it.

Barb said...

I think I spend more time searching than anything else....glad your found it and looks great!

Sherry said...

Your search process sounds like mine. Only mine usually ends up at the store buying more. . . and then coming home to find exactly where I put the original that I was looking for! LOL

Jeanna said...

You are moving right along with this one.

Katie said...

I know about tearing, but have had bad luck with it more recently, with puckered edges that can't just be pressed smooth, so I just try to fold neatly and cut carefully. So far, it usually works. But tearing is an older method and I'm sure it fell out of favor for one reason or another...perhaps because fabric manufacturers aren't bothering to print their designs on the straight of grain? (Don't believe me? Try to square up a panel!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...